Hugo Rosemont was appointed Visiting Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Defence Studies (CDS) within the Department of War Studies at King’s College London, in March 2017.
Outside King's, he serves as Director - Security and Resilience at the ADS group, the UK’s premier trade organisation for the Aerospace, Defence, Security and Space industries. Prior to this appointment, Hugo served between 2016-17 as Policy Adviser on Crime, Security and Risk-related issues at the British Retail Consortium (BRC), where his main focus was on cyber security. Before this, he served for a year as Teaching Fellow and Assistant Director at CDS, having been awarded his PhD from King's in April 2015 with a thesis that reassessed the origins, characteristics and consequences of the private sector’s involvement in the UK counter-terrorism strategy after 9/11. Between 2008-12, Hugo served at ADS for the first time as Policy Adviser (Security and Resilience), providing security policy advice to the ADS Security Sector Board directly. Earlier in his career, he served as Security Executive to both the winning London 2012 Olympic bid team and the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG).
Hugo holds Masters degrees in European Politics from London Birkbeck University and International Security Studies from the University of St Andrews, for which he was awarded a distinction in 2006.
Areas of research
- Security Privatisation
- National Security Strategy
- Digital Security and Resilience
- Hugo Rosemont, ‘Public–Private Security Cooperation: From Cyber to Financial Crime’, RUSI Occasional Paper (August 2016)
- John Gearson & Hugo Rosemont, ‘CONTEST as Strategy: Reassessing Britain’s Counterterrorism Approach’, Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, Vol. 38:12 (2015), pp.1038-1064
- Hugo Rosemont, ‘Private sector engagement in the UK's counter-terrorism strategy: a new agenda’, Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression, Vol. 6:2 (2014), pp.147-161
- Hugo Rosemont, ‘Getting Down to Business: Industry’s Role in National Security’, RUSI Journal, Vol. 155:1 (2010), pp.80-85
Hugo serves as Secretary to the UK Security and Resilience Industry Suppliers’ Community (RISC) - the UK Government’s principal channel of communication with private industry on security and counter-terrorism issues. He speaks and writes on public-private security cooperation in an independent capacity and his commentary has appeared in media outlets including the BBC, the Financial Times, The Times and The Guardian.