Dr Martin Navias
Senior Visiting Research Fellow, Centre for Defence Studies
- Conflict and security
- Accounting & Financial Management
Dr Navias is a lawyer working within the City of London where he has a background in banking and finance and a specialization in anti-money laundering, counter terrorist financing and sanctions compliance.
He has experience in anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing training within government departments and the armed forces both in the UK and abroad as well as providing consultancy services to the private sector.
His other specializations include Gulf shipping security and and also ballistic missile proliferation with a particular focus on North Korea and the Middle East. His commentary has appeared in various media outlets.
In addition to his role at CDS Dr Navias is a Visiting Lecturer at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies at the University of London.
Finance and Security
Areas of Interest
- Financial Aspects of Security
- Terrorist Finance, Counter Proliferation Finance and Sanctions
- WMD and Missile Proliferation
- North Korea and Iran
His latest book is Finance and Security: Global Vulnerabilities, Threats and Responses (Hurst Publishers, 2019)
Dr Navias' books include:
- Nuclear Weapons and British Strategic Planning (OUP)
- Going Ballistic: The Build-up of Missiles in the Middle East (Brasseys)
- Tanker Wars: The Assault on Merchant Shipping 1980-1988) During the Iran-Iraq War (I.B.Tauris); co-authored with E.R Hooton
- Non-Conventional Weapons Proliferation in the Middle East (Clarendon Press Oxford) co-edited with P.Sabn and E.Karsh