Dr Zenobia Homan coordinates international professional development courses, workshops and related training on nuclear and radiological security at the Centre for Science and Security Studies (CSSS). She currently conducts research relating to security culture and CBRN terrorism as well as security health systems, particularly focussing on language and communication. Dr Homan is a member of the International Nuclear Security Education Network (INSEN) as well as Women in International Security (WIIS) UK and she is on the Centre committee for Gender Champions in Nuclear Policy (GCNP).
Dr Homan holds a BA Joint Honours degree from Durham University, MPhil from the University of Cambridge, PhD from SOAS London. She has also been a visiting researcher at the University of Würzburg. Her doctoral thesis addressed Near and Middle Eastern history, focusing on methods of communication, diplomacy and social networks in Eastern Turkey, Northern Iraq and Northern Syria – or Kurdistan. Prior to joining CSSS, Dr Homan worked at various think tanks and research institutes, providing analyses on topics such as cultural change, international security, governance, media, and access to information. She has lived in Istanbul and Erbil and still conducts research in and on these regions.
- CBRN history
- Conflict transformation and diplomacy
- Public communication
- International security and intelligence
- Access to information and censorship
- Language policy
- Bricknell, C. M., Homan, Z. S., Gheorghe, A., Gad, M., Kazibwe, J, Quirk, E. (2020), 'An Analysis of the National Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic Through the Lens of Medical Military Support Requirements,' NATO Allied Command Transformation Open Perspectives Exchange Network (OPEN).
- Homan, Z. S., Bricknell, C. M., Leone, R. & Lelong, A. (2020), ‘Analysing International Military Medical Services: Developing a Methodology for Information Acquisition from Open Source Data,’ International Journal of Intelligence and CounterIntelligence, Vol. 34, No. 2: pp. 235-259.
- Almoammar, M., Fiala, L., Homan, Z. S. & Kofi, M. A. (2020), ‘Developing Nuclear Security Culture at Academic and Educational Institutions,’ The International Journal of Nuclear Security, Vol. 7, No. 1.
- Homan, Z. S. (2020), ‘The Future of Nuclear Security: Language of the Nuclear Age,’ Strife.
- Homan, Z. S. (2019). Mittani Palaeography: Education and Communication in the Ancient Near East. Cuneiform Monographs, Vol. 48. Leiden: Brill.
- Homan, Z. S. & Udum, S. (2019), ‘The Influence of Language on Nuclear Security Education and Training,' Institute of Nuclear Materials Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, Vol. 60. Mount Laurel: INMM.
- Homan, Z. S., Chapman, G., Hobbs, C., Mahlouly, D., Salisbury, D. & Tzinieris, S. (2018). Radicalisation & Preventative Measures: An Educational Handbook of Insider Threat Case Studies. King's College London: Centre for Science and Security Studies.
For a full list of publications visit Dr Homan's PURE Profile.