We are part of the King’s Cancer Prevention Group, who recently moved to King’s, and are led by Professor Peter Sasieni. We are comprised of three groups: The Cancer Epidemiology Group, the Cancer Behavioural Science group and the Cancer Prevention Trials Unit (CPTU). Our core funding is provided by Cancer Research UK.
The Cancer Research UK & King’s College London Cancer Prevention Trials Unit (CPTU), funded by CRUK, specialises in research to advance cancer prevention, early diagnosis and screening.
We perform research on efficacy, cost-effectiveness and technologies to improve existing and establish new screening programmes.
Our portfolio of both secondary (hospital) and primary (community) care trials includes:
- Multi-centre international randomised controlled trials of medicinal prevention of cancer often using drug repurposing;
- Pragmatic trials of screening and diagnostic interventions;
- Trials of behavioural interventions in cancer prevention and screening;
- Trials of diagnostic/screening devices;
- Long-term follow-up of participants;
- Bio-specimen collections for biomarker discovery and validation.
The CPTU core team provides a quality management system, statistical support and a wealth of experience in the design, running and governance of national and international phase III clinical trials in cancer prevention and screening. It also provides mentoring, training and management for trial-specific staff. The core team also works on new advances in terms of design and infrastructure to improve the efficiency of our trials.
The CPTU offers specialist advice to trial specific staff, collaborators and participating centres on national and international standards for the conduct of clinical research. This includes:
- A quality management system;
- Information governance advice;
- Training and continuous professional development
- Statistical design and analysis;
- Management operations;
- Patient and public involvement;
- Database/electronic data capture infrastructure;
- Long-term follow-up of patients
If you wish to have CPTU as your official trials unit for a study, we will provide oversight of the main trial activities, and also provide specific resource services as requested, which may include:
Trial design, risk assessment, costings, protocol development, obtaining approvals (MHRA, REC, HRA, CAG), regulatory and ethics submissions, statistical design and analysis, study oversight, data management, database development and CRF design, randomisation and unblinding, patient and public involvement, IMP management, trial committee set-up and management, and recruitment of study staff.
Collaborating with CPTU
If you are interested in seeking our advice or collaborating with us on a study, please get in touch by phone or email. We recommend making contact at an early stage and preferably at the point of grant application development. By contacting us early, this will enable you to take full advantage of our wealth of experience and expertise, and increases the likelihood of a successful application.