Basic English 2: Pre-Intermediate
FutureLearn Online Courses
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Not for credit
Available course dates:
From: 01 September 2023 To: 31 August 2024
On this course you will build your English skills. You will develop your use of English in a wider range of everyday situations and grow your listening ability.
You will develop your English skills by hearing people speak in a range of situations, and you will test your knowledge by writing short responses to simple discussion questions.
By the end of the course you will feel more confident in your ability to speak and understand basic English.
If you would prefer an easier course, please try Basic English: Elementary.
What does this course cover?
- Asking for directions
- Describing your town and where you live
- Talking about your daily routine and activities
- Talking about technology
- Language for shopping and other daily tasks
- Language for preparing for University
What will I achieve?
- Identify language used in everyday situations, such as studying, communicating with classmates, and talking about work
- Develop confidence in key language items useful in a range of different scenarios
- Apply language skills for everyday conversations
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant language that can help the learner progress along the path to studying at a university
Who is this for?
This course is designed for refugees, displaced people and the communities supporting them in the MENA (Middle East and Northern Africa) region who want to learn English for studying and for work. It has been created as part of the PADILEIA project.
However, it will also be of interest to anyone looking to develop their skills in basic English.
We recommend learners have a minimum of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) A1 to get the most from this course.
Supported by UK aid - Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education, Innovation and Reform
What is the teaching schedule?
This course runs multiple times each year. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Please click the Apply button to find out when the next run will start.