Leadership: Current Debates, Meeting Challenges and Managing Change Level 7 7KNIP050
Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
4 days spread over 5 weeks
Available course dates:
To be confirmed
Successful leadership in healthcare now requires the ability to work across traditional professional and agency boundaries. The module aims to explore the challenges involved in leading through influence and the particular skills needed to negotiate and deliver service change in complex systems.
What does this course cover?
The module considers three interrelated elements:
- Current debates in leadership theory and the intersection with recent health service policy drivers requiring leaders to develop skills in working in complex systems.
- Contemporary leadership challenges to safe, person centred care such as working across agencies, working with culture and complexity, inclusivity, effecting quality improvement, developing high performance teams and staff retention (other issues may be suggested by the students themselves).
- Managing and influencing for change: the theories, approaches and skills that can be used by a leader to address challenges and bring about sustained improvement within and across team and organisational boundaries
What will I achieve?
- Understand current thinking and the impact of recent policy drivers on the role of leadership in the successful delivery of health and social care
- Understand theoretical approaches to managing change, their limitations and the complexities of effecting change in health and social care settings
- Critically review leadership challenges for multi-professional, inter-professional and multiagency healthcare service delivery
- Be able to select and appraise practical tools and skills that can be used by a leader to effect change and bring about sustained improvement in complex organisations
- Appreciate the impact of default leadership and communication styles and have developed a personal plan to develop the skills in influencing and building working relationships within and between organisations
Who will I learn with?
Senior Teaching Fellow in Mental Health Nursing
Who is this for?
Qualified health professionals with some leadership experience at team or service level looking to develop their leadership and management of change skills
How will I be assessed?
2500 word assignment and 500 word reflection
What is the teaching schedule?
Term 2 -
02/02/2023, 09/02, 23/02, 02/03