Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Go to…

Industrial action: How it may affect you

Updated on 21 September 2023

Industrial action has been affecting universities across the UK. You can find detailed information about industrial action in our Q&As for students available on Student Services Online.

Advice and guidance

Your faculty or department should be your first point of contact if you have questions or concerns about your studies. Please also check your emails and KEATS regularly for updates.

Remember to make use of personal tutor and lecturer office hours to discuss your course content, upcoming assignments and essays.

Our Advice teams are available for advice relating to your studies, including financial and immigration advice.

KCLSU Advice also offers impartial and confidential academic advice with issues affecting your studies.

Support when you need it

We completely understand that industrial action can cause additional stress and pressure on top of studying. If you are concerned about how this period may impact your studies, please speak with your department or personal tutors.

  • Wellbeing & Welfare – You can book an appointment with our team of advisors to discuss and support your personal wellbeing
  • Chaplaincy – Emotional support and practised listeners for students of all faiths and none
  • Togetherall – 24-hour confidential online support and wellbeing service

If you are struggling with your mental health you can register for counselling appointments and access different support options at student mental health support.

A range of support is available outside King’s usual working hours of 09.00–17.00, Monday to Friday. For more information, including about our out-of-hours counselling service King’s Counselling Online, please visit our article on Mental health support during evening, weekends & vacation periods.

Please note that the services above are unable to answer questions about the industrial action.

More information

You can find detailed information specifically about marking and assessments and more generally about industrial action in our Q&As for students available on Student Services Online. 

You can also contact your faculty or department if you have questions about your course.

Keep up to date with what’s going on around King’s on the Student News Hub and King’s Student app. You can also find information on a range of extra-curricular activities and events through King’s Edge.



The university is well prepared to make sure you can complete your programmes of study, and to progress and graduate as anticipated.

If you feel that your education has been impacted, you have the right to complain through a formal process. We consider each complaint on its own merits, on a case-by-case basis and outcomes will be specific to individual circumstances. This will include consideration of the ways in which mitigation may have been applied where teaching had not taken place. 

Please read the information on making a complaint about industrial action that is available on Student Services Online. Support is also available from KCLSU’s Advice Service on submitting your complaint.