Dr Anna Woodham
Lecturer in Arts and Cultural Management
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 7097
Culture, Media and Creative Industries
King’s College London
5C Chesham Building
Research Interests and PhD supervision
Anna is a Lecturer in Arts and Cultural Management in the Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries. Prior to this Anna worked at the Ironbridge International Institute for Cultural Heritage (IIICH) at the University of Birmingham lecturing in Cultural Heritage. Anna comes from a Policy and museum practice background, and has worked at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) who co-funded Anna’s PhD research on social inclusion and the geography of school visits to museums. This research looked at the social impact of taking school children from some of the most deprived areas of England to museums and considered the importance of recognising museums’ geographic reach and spatial relationship to audiences. Prior to starting her PhD, Anna worked in the museum sector including posts at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge and the British Dental Association museum among others.
Anna is interested in supervising PhD students which align with her research interests in the following areas:
- The changing role of museums, heritage sites, collections, and material culture in contemporary society
- What entrepreneurship and resilience means for the museum and heritage sector
- Museums and Mega-Events (Large sporting events in particular)
- Museum and heritage policy
Anna is currently involved in several collaborative AHRC research projects which extend her interest in material culture, the historic environment and its relationship to audiences. These include a project to explore possible interventions around ‘unloved’ museum collections and another which focuses on how climate change may alter our understandings of heritage and its value. A third project looks at families and how their sense of family identity and history is curated through personal possessions.
- Woodham, A. (2015) Collecting London 2012: Exploring the unofficial legacy of the Olympic Games, in Robinson, M. & Silverman, H. (eds.) Encounters with Popular Pasts, Heritage and Popular Culture, Springer.
- Phillips, M., Woodham, A. & Hooper-Greenhill, E. (2015) Museum Geographies and Renaissance in the Regions, Social and Cultural Geography, Published online 17 February 2015
- Hooper-Greenhill, E. Phillips, M. & Woodham, A. (2009) Museums, schools and geographies of cultural value, Cultural Trends, 18(2): 149-183.