Show/hide main menu

Changes in your personal circumstances

Who to talk to

It is important that you talk through your reasons for leaving the course with relevant support staff before you leave. This is to ensure that you are making the right decision for you and that you are aware of any problems you may have as a consequence of withdrawing or taking a break from your studies.

Personal tutor

Your Personal Tutor is your first point of contact within your department if you have concerns about your progress on the course. S/he will listen to you sympathetically and make some suggestions that you may not have thought of. It may be that all you need is some encouragement or perhaps some help in planning your work schedule.

If you need academic support your Personal Tutor will be able to point you in the right direction. However s/he will not try to persuade you to stay on the programme if it is not in your best interest.

The Advice & Guidance Team

You may prefer to talk to someone outside of your department. The Advice & Guidance Team are available at all the main campuses. They will listen in confidence and present you with your options. They can also advise on the consequences of withdrawing or taking a break from your programme in relation to funding, benefits, housing and immigration.

Students often approach The Advice & Guidance Team with practical problems that seem insurmountable and these might be affecting your ability to remain on the course. Advisers can help with debt, benefit claims and appeals, immigration applications and housing issues as well as a range of other practical issues that students may have. If they are unable to assist they will help you to find advice from another source. All discussions are held in confidence.

Careers & Employability

Contact Careers & Employability via CareerConnect for support with your career ideas and to consider any impact that transferring your course may have on these.


If personal problems are affecting your studies you may wish to speak to a Counsellor before deciding to make any changes. Counselling sessions provide a regular time and space in which to share, explore and understand the nature of your problem. The counsellor can help you to gain a different perspective on yourself and/or your problems and aid you in making choices and changes that feel right for you. Counselling sessions are private and confidential.


The Chaplains are across the university if you need to discuss any personal or spiritual issues in complete confidence. You don't have to have a spiritual crisis or be a Christian to see a chaplain. They are practised listeners, and have a wealth of experience of supporting people through relationship and work difficulties, spiritual and vocational issues.

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2020 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454