Show/hide main menu



top picture2small

Many private landlords and letting agents request that a third party acts as a guarantor for the rent before they will agree to let a property to a student. This will usually be a parent or a guardian.

Landlords will usually require a UK based guarantor, which can often be a problem for overseas students.  UK Citizens may also experience difficulties if they do not have a family support network or their parents earn under the arbitrary threshold set by the agent to act as a guarantor.

If you do not have anyone who can act as your guarantor in the UK, landlords and letting agents may ask you to pay more rent upfront (generally 6-12 months).

Several organisations have been set up to help students without a UK guarantor. YourGuarantor and Housing Hand are two organisations who can act as a UK rent guarantor for Home, International and EU students renting in the private sector. 

You can find qualifying criteria and the terms of service on the guarantor organisation website and check that the agent / landlord will accept this scheme before applying.

Housing Hand

Note that we we do not endorse these companies, they are listed for information only. If you would like to talk to us about your options please come along to one of our drop-ins or email  

housing page breaker 685x35px green SAroleThe Student Advice Service are not involved in the administration of the YourGuarantor scheme but our Housing Advisors can advise you in confidence, if you experience problems during your tenancy or wish to discuss this option before committing to it. 

You can also seek help and support from University of London Housing Services.

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2018 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454