Show/hide main menu

Immigration and Visas

Medical and Dental

Medical and dental students subject to immigration control

Medics and Dentists are subject to the same Immigration Rules as other students. However due to the length of your course and the option to intercalate during study, as well as training opportunities at the end of your course, you may need additional advice and information.

If you need to extend your visa during your course, please read our information on Extending your visa and contact the Advice & Guidance team  to talk through your options. 

Intercalating Students

Students on an undergraduate Medical, Dental or Veterinary programme, either at King’s or another institution, can undertake an intercalated degree during their studies.

You do not need to make a new Student Visa application if you can complete your intercalated course within your current leave.

If you do require further leave to intercalate (at the same or a different sponsor) or to complete your course (having completed a period of intercalation) this will be considered as academic progression and you will be able to extend your Student Visa from within the UK.

If you have further questions about this, please contact the Advice & Guidance Team.  

Electives and integral placements

If you are coming to the UK to attend an elective with the School of Medicine, Dental Institute or IoPPN, follwoing the relevant immigration rules updated on 11/01/2018, you are very likely to need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa as long as your elective is less than 6 months. Please check with your Faculty in the first instance and request the Short Term Study Letter from the Electives Office.

If you have further questions about this, please contact the Advice & Guidance Team and we will endeavour to advise on the appropriate visa route for you. 

Clinical Attachments

If you are coming for a Clinical Attachment or as a Dental Observer, you should enter as a Standard Visitor (this visa type has replaced the Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists). 





Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2023 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454