Show/hide main menu

Immigration and Visas

Travelling abroad during your studies

If you are travelling during term-time whilst studying at King's, you will need to seek permission from your department. You DO NOT need permission, if you are only travelling over the weekend.

Requesting a travel letter from Student Services: 

If you need permission to travel from your department (please see above), Student Services can only produce your letter if they have received this confirmation. Your department needs to provide permission here.

You should check with the country's embassy in the UK whether you need a visa and how to apply. 

  • Schengen Visa for travel in Europe 

A Schengen visa is a single visa for travel in countries in Europe who signed up to the Schengen agreement. The UK is not in the Schengen Zone. Certain nationals need a Schengen visa to travel in Europe.

  • Where and how to apply

If you are travelling to more than one country, apply online via the embassy where you will spend the most time. 

If you are spending an equal amount of time in each country, apply online via the embassy of the first country you plan to visit.

You should always check the rules on the embassy website of the country where you plan to travel. 

  • What documents will I need to provide?

Most countries ask for:

  • valid passport & UK visa (BRP card)
  • Schengen visa application form
  • evidence of travel plans & accommodation
  • travel / medical insurance
  • evidence of sufficient funds
  • confirmation of studies letter (request a travel letter from Student Services for this purpose)
  • evidence of paid visa fee

You should check the exact requirements with the embassy of the country you are applying to, as the requirements can vary slightly by country. 

If you would like more information about travelling in Europe, a good reference is the UKCISA guide on Schengen Visa.




Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2023 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454