Show/hide main menu

Working in the UK

Working in the UK

To work in the UK you will need to apply for a National Insurance number  

 During Studies  

 Your BRP will indicate how many hours you are able to work whilst you are studying.   

For degree level students on a Student Visa or Tier 4 visa you should be allowed to work up to 20 hours during term time. Term time is determine by the academic calendar

 You are able to work full time during vacation periods. These students should be aware that: 

Masters students: you can only work 20 hours during the summer period (the summer period is when you should be doing your dissertation so does not count as a vacation period) 

PhD students: as you work throughout the year, term time dates do not apply to you. You should be entitled to 8 week's annual leave and you can work during your annual leave periods. 

There are also certain types of work you are not allowed to do. You can find this on the UKCISA website


After studies 

Your Student Visa orTier 4 student visa is likely to continue for up to 4 months after your course end date. Your end date will be as follows:

End dates
 Undergraduate students  The end of the summer term as specified in the Academic Calendar
 Postgraduate Taught Master's students  The course end date listed on your CAS
 PhD students  The award date of your PhD (as confirmed by the Research Degrees team)

Upon reaching your course end date, you can start working full-time up until your visa expiry date, for a maximum period of 4 months. Its therefore important that before you reach your visa expiry date/the 4 month period after your course end date, you apply to switch into another immigration category or otherwise leave the UK.

During this 4 month period you may have the option to switch to another visa which permits you to work in the UK after your Student Visa or Tier 4 visa expires.



Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2023 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454