Show/hide main menu

National Student Money Week

Claim It!

green background with text financial health is essential, has the penny dropped yet? £ sign

Claim It Week is coming! 27 November - 1 December

Look out for our Money Mentor roadshow, coming to a campus near you:

Monday 27 - FWB, Waterloo Campus - 11am-3pm
Tuesday 28 - FWB, Waterloo Campus and Macadam Building, Strand campus- 11am-3pm
Wednesday 29 - The Shed, Guy's campus - 11am -3pm
Thursday 30 - Denmark Hill Campus - 11am -3pm
Friday 1 - Macadam Building, Strand Campus -11am-3pm

Speak to our Money Mentors about your entitlements and if you have claimed everything you are eligible for. 

We also have a Meet a Money Mentor drop-in on Friday at the Macadam Building between 12-2pm. Come along for a one-to-one chat with one of our student Money Mentors for peer to peer support around money management and any other issues*.

*Staff advisors will also be available for more complex issues.

King’s Student Advice Service is here to help you with any money worries you may have during your time at King’s. Our Money Mentors can also help you to make the most of your money, whatever your budget.  

Students Outside Tube Stop

Check your entitlements

Undergraduate UK based student

If you meet the eligibility criteria you can claim:

  • A tuition fee loan
  • Loan for maintenance
  • Maintentance grant (depending on your household income)

Students on NHS funded courses prior to September 2017 can apply for financial assistance from NHS Bursaries which comprises of:

  • Tuition fee grant
  • Bursary for living costs (depending on household income)
  • Grant for living costs
  • Top up student loan

All UK based students in receipt of student funding can apply for King's hardship funds to top up their student income but any award will be calculated using means testing.

My family's income is significantly lower this year but my funding is based on tax returns from two years ago, is there anything that I can do?

Yes, you can ask Student Finance England (or equivalent if you are from another region) to reassess you on your family's predicted income for this year, if you think it will be 15% lower, this is called an 'current year income assessment'.  You will still need to give evidence of previous years and provide evidence of actual earnings at the end of the tax year to complete the claim, though interim payments should be made.  If you experience problems or find yourself in financial hardship please contact us.

Undergraduate EU Citizen

If you are an EU Citizen and have been living in the EU for the three years prior to the start of your course you are entitled to claim a Tuition fee loan from the UK Government.

If you have been living and working in the UK or you are the relevant family member of an EU Migrant you may be able to apply for more funding. The rules around this are complicated therefore we would advise that you book an appointment with a Specialist Student Money Advisor to personally assess and give advice on your claim.

Additional help for student parents

If you are a student parent you may be entitled to:

How much you receive will depend on your household income and your funder.

If you are a single parent you can claim welfare benefits to top up your student income, and student parent couples can make a claim during the summer holidays.  If your partner works and has a low income, they can claim welfare benefits but you must declare your student income as some of this counts as income in any claim.  If you are unsure that you are receiving your full entitlements make an appointment to see a Specialist Student Money Advisor.

Additional help for students with disabilities

Students who declare a disability to the university may be entitled to additional on course support, UK based students apply to the Disability Support Scheme and overseas students can apply to the International Student Support Scheme at King's.  Our colleagues in the Disability Advisory Service can assist you with any questions you may have.

You may also be eligible for welfare benefits and should seek advice if you not claimed benefits in the past.  If you start a course in receipt of any means-tested sickness or disability benefits you will need to declare your change of cicumstances as soon as you start the ccourse. Seek advice from the Student Advice Service on you entitlements during study or contact Disability Rights UK, they have a dedicated student

Can I fund a year abroad?

Studying abroad is a lot more financially accessible these days. There are a number of different ways in which students can tap into different pots of funding, as long as they are willing to do some research and apply.

Information on how one student approached different organisations for funding can be found here.

Information from is handy for peer-to-peer advice about study abroad money matters too:

How to increase your postgraduate funding

There are numerious trust, charities and other funders who may help fund part of your studies.  The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding is an invaluable tool for any one looking to self fund or increase their student income portfolio.

If you find yourself in unexpected financial difficulty the univeristy hardship funds may be able to provide some assistance, seek advice before applying if your situation is complex.



Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454