Show/hide main menu

Money Advice

Student Funding

Before enrolling here at King’s you will need to ensure that you can cope with the many financial demands you are likely to face.  These include paying the tuition fees and the various other personal expenses associated with studying.  Depending on your circumstances, these ‘living costs’ might include rent, travel, books, food and a social life, to name a few!

How much money am I likely to need to cover my living costs?
It is difficult to be precise about this but as a rough estimate, the College suggests about £1,250 per month.  This is not to say that some students can’t live on less than this and indeed, others may spend more, but £1,250 should give you a reasonable standard of living here in London. 

Undergraduate students

Many of our students, particular those from overseas or the EU have to make their own arrangements to fund rent, books, travel etc.  However, UK students are offered financial support via Student Finance England (SFE) or the equivalent bodies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  This help can be in the form of Maintenance Loans or non-repayable Grants.  For more information about what is available and the important eligibility criteria see:

For some further guidance on Maintenance & Tuition Fee loans please see the Student Funding Office pages here.

Are there extra funds if I have children or others who are financially dependent upon me?

Yes, the funding bodies named above do provide grants to help mitigate against the extra costs associated with being a parent or having adult dependants within the family.  These include Childcare Grants, Adult Dependant Grants and the Parents Learning Allowance, all of which are non-repayable.   However, they are means tested and the award will depend on household income.  For more information see:

I am on an NHS funded course, do they offer living cost support too?

Yes, the NHS does provide help towards living costs for many of their students.  Again, these are likely to be for UK students but not exclusively.  For more information about NHS Bursaries, Grants and the eligibility criteria, visit the NHSBSA website.

Please note that courses such as Nursing & Midwifery BSc which were previously funded by the NHS are now Funded with the standard UK funding package, please refer to the top box for more information.

Will EU students attract help with living costs?

The funds mentioned above tend to be available to UK undergraduates taking their first degree. But there are some important exceptions which may include EU nationals.  A list of these groups can be found here. Read the eligibility criteria carefully and if you believe you meet it, get in touch with SFE to find out how you can apply for this extra help or contact the Advice & Guidance Team for support.

Will the fact I have studied in higher education before affect my entitlements to loans and grants?

Yes, SFE take into account all previous study on a Higher Education course when assessing eligibility for their funds. This is the case even if you studied many years ago, studied in a different country and even if you failed to gain a qualification!  There are exceptions and it can be a complicated area so seek advice before enrolling if you think you may be affected by previous study rules.  There is a guide on SFE eligibility here, so read this for clarification.

Does the College offer Scholarships and Bursaries for Undergraduates?

Yes, there are a number of ‘discretionary’ funds available for all students including International and EU students.  These are administered by the Funding Office so check there for full details.


Postgraduate students

Generally the funds mentioned above are for undergraduate students. However, there are some important exceptions where SFE provide maintenance support. You can find out which courses attract this funding here. Other popular sources of postgraduate funding are also mentioned, such as Trusts and Charities.

Does the College offer funding for Postgraduate students?

Yes, King’s is able to offer financial support to help you cope with the costs associated with studying on a higher degree.  However, funds are limited so it is important to make good quality applications within stated deadlines. For more information about what is on offer regularly check the details provided by the Centre for Doctoral Studies on their funding pages.


Funding problems

I am worried about running out of money. How can I avoid this?

When starting your university career it is vital that you have complete confidence that you can afford the course. Money problems can have a very detrimental effect on your studies and is a common reason that students cite, if they have to interrupt or withdraw! Given this we would strongly encourage students to work out and stick to their budget. You can do this independently by using the resources here. Alternatively, you can get in touch with our Money & Housing Advice Team here at King’s who will help you do this. 

I have had some unforeseen issues with my finances. Who can help?

For confidential advice and guidance please book in to see a Money & Housing Adviser or contact The Funding Office about options within the College.

Where can I find out more information to help me with practical/financial issues whilst I study here at King’s?

Advice & Guidance provide information and support on a range of subjects.  For more information please see our Advice Guides.


Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2021 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454