Show/hide main menu

Student parents and carers


childcare 425

Coming to university is a time of change no matter what your circumstances. This is particularly true of students who are also parents of children who are under 16. This page is designed to help you plan your childcare and think through what you need to organise.

Our advice guide on Childcare contains information on the different types of childcare that are available, particularly if you are not familiar with childcare in the UK, as well as the questions you will need to ask yourself about how the arrangements may or may not fit in around your studies.

King's does not provide any childcare on site but you can find alternative childcare providers in your local area, please be aware the daily cost of childcare varies between £80 and £100 per day. 

If you would like to talk about your childcare needs then please contact the Advice & Guidance Team. They can give you information on financial assistance and budgeting.

Student Parent Toolkit

The Family Society have put together a useful handbook which contains details for both undergraduate and postgraduate students with caring responsibilities. It contains useful details relating to maternity and paternity leave as well as managing your studies whilst pregnant. Follow this link to download it here.

On site provision at the College

There is no on site childcare provision for the children of staff or students at the College. 

Guy’s Hospital (London Bridge) and King’s College Hospital (Denmark Hill) Trusts provide childcare facilities for their staff. Sometimes places are available to students of King’s College but places are limited and non-subsidised. Please check directly with the Nursery.

Chaplaincy Rooms

The Chaplaincy team at King’s have recognised that there are times when childcare provision does not work out as planned.  If you are in a position where you need a child friendly meeting room on campus then you can enquire with the Chaplaincy to request to use their rooms. There is a small box of toys to keep your children entertained while you carry out your meeting.  Please direct your enquires to:

Parenting Rooms

There are six Parenting rooms across campus.  The rooms include nursing chairs, fridges, sterilising facilities, baby changing facilities, kettles and hand sanitising products. The rooms are lockable. Access details are provided here.



A childminder is somebody who provides childcare for children in the childminder's own home for more than two hours a day. In England Childminders must be registered with Ofsted. Childminders in Wales must be registered with CSSIW and in Scotland they must be registered with the Scottish Care Inspectorate. You can search for registered childminders in your area on the governments webpages.



A Nursery provides day care for children aged from a few weeks old to those about to start primary school. Nurseries usually operate for 5 days a week and can offer places from half a day to full time care. The organisation Childcare allows you to search for registered nurseries.

If you are not sure of what type of childcare is best for you, take a look at Pacey which offers advice to help you to decide which type of childcare is right for you and your family.


School places

Children in the UK can start school in the September after they turn 4 years of age. You are required to have an address in the area of the school that you wish to apply to. It is therefore necessary to obtain your accommodation prior to being able to apply for a school place. Once you know where you are going to live you can then identify schools in your local are. The UK Council for International Student Affairs offers very useful information to help you to navigate this process.


Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2020 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454