Show/hide main menu

Student parents and carers

Funding your studies

money jar 425

The funding available to you will depend on whether you are a UK or overseas student, if you are studying an undergraduate or postgraduate course and whether you study full or part-time. 

The Student Funding Office can advise you on what funding is available from statutory sources and funds within the College. The Advice & Guidance Team can advise you if you have problems applying for student funding, assist you with your budget and help you to identify other sources of funding. 

Undergraduate full-time home students and EU migrant workers

Home students and EU migrant workers are usually eligible to apply for a student support package from Student Finance England or NHS Student Bursaries, there may be restrictions in the support available to you if you have previously studied a degree programme. 

Student parents can also apply for additional funding (regardless of previous study) to assist with the added costs of being a parent and/or supporting an adult dependant whilst studying full-time. Please be aware that if you are in receipt of benefits then you must declare any loans from Student Finance England, Hardship Funds or the NHS Learning Support Fund. 

NHS Learning Support Fund

If you are a student on a healthcare course such as Nursing, Midwifery or Physiotherapy and you started your course in 2017 then you may be eligible for some additional financial help through the NHS Learning Support Fund. his fund includes a Child Dependents Allowance of £1000, any awards made from this fund do not have to be re-paid. You can find out about the eligibility criteria for this fund by visiting :

Childcare Grant 
A Childcare Grant is available to full-time students in low-income households. To qualify, you must have a dependent child or children in registered or OFSTED approved childcare. If you qualify, you can receive up to 85 per cent of an allowance set by your funder - this will differ depending on whether you are studying an NHS funded course or not and what region of the UK you are from. If your childcare costs are more than the funder's allowance, the amount you could receive will be capped, please refer to your funders webpages for full information.

You do not have to repay this help. How much you get will also depend on:

  • your level of income and the income of your household
  • how many children you have in childcare
  • your actual childcare costs

The childcare grant is paid as part of your student funding package and covers all forms of childcare including school clubs provided it is registered and approved. Please note, to qualify your partner must not already be receiving the childcare element of Working Tax credit.

Parents learning allowance 

This is an additional grant to assist student parents with the costs of books, travel etc. As with the Childcare grant the award is based on your household income and is paid to you as part of your student funding package. You can apply for the Parent learning allowance even if you are not applying for the Childcare grant. 

Applications for both the Childcare Grant and the Parent Learning Allowance can be made to Student Finance England, NHS Student Bursaries or regional funder, depending on who funds your studies.Further details and information on how to apply can be found on Direct Gov.

Adult dependants grant

If you are a full-time student with an adult who depends on you financially, you could be entitled to the Adult Dependants' Grant. You don't have to repay this help. 

An adult dependant can include a partner (of either sex) or another adult, usually a member of your family who depends on you financially. However, you can't count your grown-up children as adult dependants. How much you get depends on your income and the income of your adult dependant. 


Part-time undergraduate home students and EU migrant workers

If you are a part-time student with children or other dependants, you may qualify for help with your course fees and/or course costs. If your course starts on or after 01st August 2018 then you can apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan. In certain circumstances you may also be eligible for benefits, please consult the Advice & Guidance Team who will be able to help you, or a local Advice Service.  


All home students and EU migrant workers

Child Benefit and Tax Credits 
Child Benefit is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child. It is usually paid every four weeks but in some cases can be paid weekly, and there are separate rates for each child. The payment can be claimed by anyone who qualifies, whatever their income or savings. 

Students with dependent children may also be entitled to claim Child Tax Credit from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances and income. 

You may also be able to claim Working Tax Credit. However, if you get the childcare element of Working Tax Credit, you won't be able to claim for the Childcare Grant as well. You can find more information about tax credits, including how to apply, on the Direct Gov website.


Postgraduate funding

The new Postgraduate Loan can assist with some costs of study but the amount of funding is not as extensive as undergraduate funding and there is no access to additional funding for childcare and dependants. Students studying on PGCE courses and some NHS courses can access funding and should see the Student Funding Office for further details. 

From August 2018 new students attending a pre-registration, postgraduate healthcare course will also be eligible to apply for support from the NHS Learning Support Fund.  This fund includes a Child Dependents Allowance of £1000, any awards made from this fund do not have to be re-paid. You can find out if you are eligible by visiting

Kings College offers a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for both taught masters and research degrees which may contribute towards tuition fees, living costs or both. Information and application details can be found at the Student Funding Office, and Graduate Funding database you will also find a wide range of useful information on postgraduate funding and national competitions at Prospects. 

Funding a postgraduate course is a big financial commitment so it is very important that you ensure you have funding in place for the full duration of your studies before you start your course. Finding adequate funding once you have started studying can be very difficult and may lead to financial difficulties.

Please note that childcare and adult dependant grants and parents learning allowance are not usually available to postgraduate students.


Overseas Students

In order to gain entry clearance to study in the U.K international students need to prove that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and their families whilst in the U.K. Therefore international students are not permitted to apply for or have recourse to public funds.  

However, EU and International students experiencing unexpected financial difficulties may wish to make an application to the International Hardship Fund. To be eligible students must be able to demonstrate they had adequate funding in place at the start of their course and that 'unforeseen circumstances' have occurred after they started their course leading to financial hardship. It is advisable to contact the Advice & Guidance Team to discuss your application before you apply.


Trusts and Charities

The Advice & Guidance Team are able to assist students with identifying possible funding opportunities through trusts and charities depending on your personal circumstances, status and background. 

Funding from these sources is not guaranteed and should not be relied upon for covering the full costs of a degree but may assist with general day to day living costs or help out if you find yourself in financial difficulties. To find out more about searching for and applying to trusts and charities please contact the Advice & Guidance Team. You can also search on Turn2Us for grants that you are eligible for.


Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2020 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454