Classics and the Ancient World BA
People versus elites, minority rights, sexual diversity and gender politics, empire and multiculturalism, ethnicity and race, religious identity and experience, consensus and conflict, art, philosophy, the meaning of justice. You will explore vital contemporary issues as you learn about some of the most celebrated and debated cultures of ancient Europe, Asia, and North Africa.
With no compulsory modules, you’re free to shape your degree to suit your own interests with our broad and fully flexible structure.
Whether you’re interested in literature, philosophy, history, global and social issues, politics, art, culture or languages, you’ll be able to choose what fascinates you. Study all aspects of Greece and Rome, Persia, Egypt, the Near East and North Africa and the influence of Greece and Rome on later history and culture, including the contemporary world.
- Classics at King’s ranked 1st in the UK for research excellence (REF 2021)
- Be part of one of the largest Classics departments in the UK.
- Take hands-on classes at the British Museum and other cultural institutions in London. Travel on an expenses-paid field trip to ancient sites in the Mediterranean during your second or third year.
- Be part of our famous Greek Play before a live audience or gain experience of teaching classical topics in local primary schools.
- Acquire skills valued by employers, leading to careers in heritage-related professions, the media, education, civil service and the performing arts.
- Build on your current skills in Ancient Greek and Latin or go from beginner to advanced on our accelerated 3 year programme.