Downloads from this meeting
Downloads from this meeting
Brief event report
Today’s webinar on Social Work & Homelessness brought together 237 participants to reflect on emerging messages from the Unit’s NIHR SSCR Homelessness & self-neglect study and to collectively discuss ideas for developments in social work training and practice and within multi-disciplinary working, informed by this research evidence. The presentation of study findings by Jess Harris was responded to by six invited discussants: Matthew Bawden, Organisational lead for social care at St Mungo’s; Jane Cook, National Health & Homelessness Adviser for the DLUHC Rough Sleeping Initiative; Maddie Tait, a homelessness Social Worker in the City of London; Karl Mason, Lecturer in Social Work at Royal Holloway, University of London; Ruth Allen, Chief Executive of the British Association of Social Workers (BASW); and Lyn Romeo, the Chief Social Worker for Adults, from the DHSC. Participants thanked all the speakers for their wide-ranging insights and reflections, and for a ‘very interesting, thought provoking and insightful event’, ‘encouraging, informative and inspiring’. Speakers’ presentations are available above and future events in the HSCWRU Homelessness series will be listed shortly here.
Please note that this event has passed.
An event for anyone interested in, managing, teaching, commissioning, or carrying out social work with people experiencing homelessness
The event will highlight the importance of the specialist social worker role within responses to multiple exclusion homelessness (MEH) and discuss how the role can be further valued, supported and mainstreamed, as well as thinking about improving social work training on MEH.
Jess Harris, Research Fellow, HSCWRU, King's College London, will present emerging messages from research looking at homelessness, self-neglect and safeguarding: www.kcl.ac.uk/research/homelessness-and-self-neglect
Other speakers and discussants:
- Matthew Bawden, Organisational lead for older people and care, St Mungo’s, 'Life Changing Care'
- Jane Cook, National Health & Homelessness Adviser, Rough Sleeping Initiative, DLUHC, 'Good practice within the Rough Sleeping Initiative'
- Maddie Tait, Homelessness Prevention & Rough Sleeping Social Work, City of London, 'First-hand experience of homelessness social work'
- Karl Mason, Lecturer in Social Work, Royal Holloway, University of London, 'Integrating homelessness in social work education'
- Ruth Allen, CEO, BASW, 'Preventing and tackling homelessness: core to social work skills and values'
- Lyn Romeo, Chief Social Worker for Adults, DHSC, 'Owning the issue'
The event, which takes place on Zoom only, is part of our Homelessness Series.
At this event
Search for another event