Applications now open for the Transnational Law Summer Institute 2016
Posted on 05/01/2016
The Transnational Law Institute is pleased to announce the 2016 Transnational Law Summer Institute (TLSI) applications are now open.
Convened by Professor Peer Zumbansen and Dr Prabha Kotiswaran, the TLSI is an annual 10-day workshop for advanced doctoral students and early-career legal academics and will be convened from 21-30 June 2016.
The Institute will feature focus-workshops on reading and writing as well as teaching at the interdisciplinary boundaries of law and globalisation, along with selected theme lectures and two full days of engaging with a seminal text in context.
The Institute is aimed at providing early career scholars and experienced lawyers with a first-hand opportunity to submit their ideas on research, teaching as well as possible forms of civic engagement to collegial feedback, both from their peers and from established, world-renowned experts.
TLSI 2016 enables participants to
- engage through a sociolegal perspective with two of the central functions in the legal universe, namely, lawyering and judging,
- discuss current trends and 'hot topics' with peers and leaders in their fields,
- engage in a critical reading of selected canonical texts in dialogue with the author,
- investigate the context, origin and trajectory of a text and how it sits within an evolving field of intellectual and professional discourse,
- receive feedback on their own research by peers in their field of expertise,
- get exposure to different research, writing and teaching cultures,
- reflect on the challenges of doing interdisciplinary research, collaboration and writing,
- develop strategies of positioning oneself and one's work in a competitive and transnational scholarly and institutional context,
- engage in academic network building and collaboration,
- take part in a writing and publishing workshop,
- work towards a newly developed course syllabus with collegial yet critical feedback, and
- build lasting intellectual, personal and professional ties with peers on a global scale.
Scholarships for successful applicants
Successful applicants will be offered a scholarship to participate in TLSI 2016. This includes all programme costs, venues and materials, self-catering accommodation and some meals for participants. Applicants may apply to be considered for a travel bursary.
The application process is now open