Professor Stephani Hatch is a Professor of Sociology and Epidemiology at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, King’s College London. Stephani leads an interdisciplinary research programme and public engagement activities focused on urban mental health; inequalities in mental health and health services; discrimination; and young adult mental health.
Stephani joined King’s College London in December 2006.
Stephani is currently the Principal Investigator (PI) for the Tackling Inequalities and Discrimination Experiences in Health Services (TIDES) study funded by a Wellcome Trust Investigator’s Award. The TIDES team is developing an intervention framework to address the role of discrimination by healthcare practitioners in generating and perpetuating health inequalities. Stephani’s team will use innovative quantitative and qualitative methods, including linked survey and health record data as well as virtual reality methods to examine how biases and discrimination impact clinical interactions and treatment recommendations.
Stephani leads The HYPE (improving the Health of Young PeoplE) Project. The project is a web-based recruitment, risk assessment and resource platform for young adults (aged 16 and over) that will facilitate young people’s involvement in research and improve access to online and community-based social and health-related resources.
Stephani is also co-PI for the South East London Community Health (SELCoH) study, a psychiatric and physical morbidity survey set in the boroughs of Southwark and Lambeth that began in 2008. SELCoH is the largest, most comprehensive UK study of urban mental health and service use that provides much-needed data on ethnic minority and migrant populations.
Stephani has been co-leading initiatives promoting and changing policies to insure the embeddedness of Diversity & Inclusion at KCL since 2014. In recognition, Stephani received the King’s Award for Diversity in the Workplace in 2016. She is currently the Co-Chair of the IoPPN Diversity & Inclusion Self-Assessment Team.
Education and Training
- 2016 Senior Fellow, UK Higher Education Academy
- 2005 National Institute of Mental Health Postdoctoral Training Fellowship, Psychiatric Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York, NY, US
- 2002 PhD Sociology, National Institute of Mental Health/American Sociological Association Pre-Doctoral Fellow, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, US
- 1996 MA Sociology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, US
- 1993 BA Psychology (Minor: Sociology), Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, US
- Urban mental health
- Health inequalities
- Social adversity and mental health over the life course
- Course Director and Module Lead, Integrated Academic Training, Applied Research Methods Course, Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine and IoPPN, KCL
- Personal Tutor, Department of Psychological Medicine, IoPPN, KCL
Current Course Lectures
- ‘Urban Mental Health’ for Urban Informatics MSc, Centre for Urban Science and Progress London, Faculty of Natural and Mathematical Sciences, KCL
- ‘Conceptualizing the Social World’ for Social Psychiatry: Theory, Research, and Methods, MSc in Psychiatric Research, IoPPN, KCL
- ‘Cumulative Influences of Adversity and Advantage on Mental Health over the Life Course’ for Social and Community Mental Health, MSc in Mental Health Studies, IoPPN, KCL
Expertise and Public Engagement:
Stephani is the founder and lead for the Health Inequalities Research Network (HERON), a public engagement network that promotes collaborative community approaches to knowledge dissemination, action and youth outreach. The range of engagement activities can be found on the Health Inequalities Research Network (HERON) website Twitter: @HeronNetwork
- NHS England Workforce Race Equality Standard Advisory Group
- Thrive London Advisory Board
- Black Thrive Evaluation Advisory Board
- Maudsley Learning Advisory Board
Ronaldson, A., Arias de la Torre, J., Gaughran, F., Bakolis, I., Hatch, S., Hotopf, M. & Dregan, A., 15 Sep 2020, (Accepted/In press) In : Psychological medicine. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Dorrington, S., Carr, E., Stevelink, S., Dregan, A., Woodhead, C., Das-Munshi, J., Ashworth, M., Broadbent, M., Madan, I., Hatch, S. & Hotopf, M., 8 Sep 2020, In : Psychological medicine. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291720002937
The COVID-19 Mental Health Policy Research Unit Group, 28 Aug 2020, In : Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-020-01927-4
Jannesari, S., Hatch, S. & Oram, S., 13 Aug 2020, In : Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences. 29, p. e154 e154. Research output: Contribution to journal - Review article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1017/S2045796020000669
Pierce, M., Hope, H., Ford, T., Hatch, S., Hotopf, M., John, A., Kontopantelis, E., Webb, R., Wessely, S., McManus, S. & Abel, K. M., 1 Jan 2020, (Accepted/In press) In : The Lancet Psychiatry. 7, 10, p. 883-892 10 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30308-4
Pierce, M., McManus, S., Jessop, C., John, A., Hotopf, M., Ford, T., Hatch, S., Wessely, S. & Abel, K. M., Jul 2020, In : The Lancet Psychiatry. 7, 7, p. 567-568 2 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Comment/debate. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30237-6
Hussain, S., Dregan, A., Ronaldson, A., Arias de la Torre, J., Sima, R., Hatch, S. & Hotopf, M., 7 Aug 2020, (Accepted/In press) In : Brain Behavior and Immunity. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Chui, Z., Gazard, B., MacCrimmon, S., Harwood, H., Downs, J., Bakolis, I., Polling, K., Rhead, R. & Hatch, S., 20 Jul 2020, In : European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Smith, S., Gilbert, S., Ariyo, K., Arundell, L-L., Bhui, K., Das-Munshi, J., Hatch, S. & Lamb, N., Jul 2020, In : The lancet. Psychiatry. 7, 7, p. e40 Research output: Contribution to journal - Letter. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30250-9
Anderson, F. M., Hatch, S. L., Ryan, E. G., Trevillion, K. & Howard, L. M., 1 Jan 2019, In : Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 80, 5, 18m12563. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.18m12563