Advanced Assessment Skills for Non-Medical Practitioners Level 7 7KNIP030
Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
Available course dates:
From: 27 April 2023 To: 14 July 2023
15 March 2023
Please note: This module is only available as a free-standing course in January (term 2) and April (term 3). The September (term 1) intake is only for students enrolled on a Master's programme.
To enable experienced healthcare practitioners to acquire additional systematic and structured history-taking assessment and physical examination skills, in order to integrate advanced assessment findings into clinical decision making. To enable practitioners to synthesize and implement knowledge into practice.
What will I achieve?
Participants will be able to:
- Apply relevant physiology to the patient/client.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the theoretical and clinical basis of physical examination and history taking.
- Demonstrate an awareness of ethical and legal issues underpinning patient assessment.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyse complex assessment data and discriminate between normal and abnormal findings.
- Critically apply diagnostic reasoning to differential diagnosis and clinical decision making.
- Demonstrate an enhanced quality of therapeutic interactions with patients/clients/others.
- Undertake referral and consultation as part of professional practice. To develop negotiating and referring skills.
- Accurately document clinical data and findings from patient assessments and communicate these appropriately, in writing and verbally, with others
- Integrate, synthesize and apply appropriate knowledge from relevant disciplines in a critical interpretation of the evidence in order to make appropriate clinical decisions.
- Demonstrate an ability to carry out and document accurately a comprehensive health history in practice.
Who will I learn with?
Who is this for?
This course is for qualified healthcare professionals.
Applicants must have a minimum of 2 years post qualification experience and be currently working in an advance role or training towards an advanced role. They will need exposure to advanced physical assessment, and clinical decision-making and MUST have workplace support.
How will I be assessed?
Practice Assessment and OSCE
What is the teaching schedule?
Term 2 -
12/01/2023, 19/01, 20/01, 26/01, 27/01, 02/02, 03/02, 09/02, 10/02, 16/02, 17/02, 23/02, 24/02, 02/03, 03/03, 16/03, 17/03, 23/03, 24/03
Term 3 -
27/04/2023, 04/05, 05/05, 11/05, 12/05, 18/05, 19/05, 25/05, 26/05, 01/06, 02/06, 08/06, 09/06, 15/06, 16/06, 06/07, 07/07, 13/07, 14/07
This course is run in two cohorts, Thursday or Friday. The first date is the same for both cohorts. You will be asked to choose Thursday or Friday when you are offered a place on the module.