Advanced Quantitative Research Methods 7KNIP042
Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
Available course dates:
From: 18 October 2022 To: 29 November 2022
31 August 2022
This module forms part of the MRES Clinical Research. The module contributes to your programme of study by providing a solid grounding in quantitative research methods, providing you with skills for designing, conducting and appraising your own and others’ research. This is the first module of the programme and provides a foundation for your research methods training, complemented by the Advanced Qualitative Research Methods module taken in term 2.
The module can also be taken as a freestanding module and is usually taken in the first year by MPhil/Ph.D. students.
What will I achieve?
Participants will develop:
- Advanced understanding of key approaches in quantitative health research.
- Advanced understanding of the application and use of appropriate quantitative research methods.
- Advanced understanding of stages involved in undertaking quantitative research methods.
- Advanced understanding of stages involved in undertaking quantitative research.
- Advanced critical appraisal skills to interrogate the application of quantitative research approaches and methods.
- Advanced skills in selecting and conducting appropriate statistical tests for quantitative data.
The content of this module will include:
- Research design and data collection approaches.
- Surveys, case-control, and cohort studies.
- Clinical trials.
- Prognostic and diagnostic tests.
- Data types and distribution.
- Access and ethics.
- Hypothesis testing.
- Samples and populations.
- Approaches to analyses: comparisons, regression, correlation.
- Analysis of categorical and continuous data.
- Combining the results of independent studies.
Who will I learn with?
Associate Dean (Postgraduate Research Studies) and Senior Lecturer in Mental Health
Who is this for?
How will I be assessed?
3000 word assignment. Critical appraisal of a quantitative research paper.
What is the teaching schedule?
18/10, 25/10, 1/11, 15/11, 22/11, 29/11