Advanced Quantitative Research Methods 7KNIP042
Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
Available course dates:
To be confirmed
This module forms part of the MRES Clinical Research. The module contributes to your programme of study by providing a solid grounding in quantitative research methods, providing you with skills for designing, conducting and appraising your own and others’ research. This is the first module of the programme and provides a foundation for your research methods training, complemented by the Advanced Qualitative Research Methods module taken in term 2.
The module is for PGR students and MSc students only. Not available as Free Standing Module.
What will I achieve?
Participants will develop:
- Advanced understanding of key approaches in quantitative health research.
- Advanced understanding of the application and use of appropriate quantitative research methods.
- Advanced understanding of stages involved in undertaking quantitative research methods.
- Advanced understanding of stages involved in undertaking quantitative research.
- Advanced critical appraisal skills to interrogate the application of quantitative research approaches and methods.
- Advanced skills in selecting and conducting appropriate statistical tests for quantitative data.
The content of this module will include:
- Research design and data collection approaches.
- Surveys, case-control, and cohort studies.
- Clinical trials.
- Prognostic and diagnostic tests.
- Data types and distribution.
- Access and ethics.
- Hypothesis testing.
- Samples and populations.
- Approaches to analyses: comparisons, regression, correlation.
- Analysis of categorical and continuous data.
- Combining the results of independent studies.
Who will I learn with?
Associate Dean (Postgraduate Research Studies) and Senior Lecturer in Mental Health
Who is this for?
How will I be assessed?
3000 word assignment. Critical appraisal of a quantitative research paper.
What is the teaching schedule?
10/10/2023, 17/10, 24/10, 31/10, 07/11, 14/11