Child and Adolescent Mental Health: Assessment and Treatment Level 6 6KNIM603
Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
8 days spread over 5 weeks
Available course dates:
To be confirmed
This module provides an overview of the assessment and treatment of common child and adolescent mental health problems. Students will develop their clinical skills in relation to assessment and treatment, and also learn about the evidence base for practice in this area.
What will I achieve?
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate highly developed clinical skills and a clear understanding of child and adolescent mental health assessment, including a comprehensive understanding of screening tools, assessment tools, risk assessment and the concept of their validity and reliability.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of case formulation and develop the skills in case formulation with a particular focus on psychological therapies such as CBT, IPT, DBT.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of evidence based interventions for children and adolescents such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Interpersonal Psychotherapy for adolescents (IPT-A).
- Demonstrate a clear understanding and critical awareness of theory and research pertaining to the treatment of child and adolescent mental health including the ability to critique current practice and develop new hypotheses.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically explore the type of emergencies that children and adolescents with mental health problems are at risk of experiencing and how we work with children and adolescents with mental health problems in Tiers 1-4.
- Demonstrate the ability to assess and treat common mental health difficulties such as anxiety, depression, self-harm/self-injury and eating disorder in children and adolescents and to consider how this may be assessed in the practitioner's specific clinical context.
Who will I learn with?
Lecturer/ Practitioner in Mental Health Nursing
Who is this for?
Qualified Nurses and Allied Healthcare Professionals
How will I be assessed?
What is the teaching schedule?