Dietary management and the low FODMAP diet in IBS - Introduction course (2022-2023)
Life Sciences & Medicine
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Not for credit
Equivalent to 1 day
Available course dates:
From: 30 August 2022 To: 31 July 2023
30 June 2023
This taster course is designed for dietitians with an interest in the dietary management of irritable bowel syndrome who have limited clinical experience of managing patients with irritable bowel syndrome.
Course duration: 8 hours
The course duration will be 5 hours of direct learning with lectures and videos, and additional 3 hours of self-directed learning including quizzes, case studies and clinical observation.
All lectures are recorded. There are no taught sessions. This is a self-learning course which can be completed at your own pace.
Upon completion of all activities, participants will be awarded a King's College London Certificate of Attendance.
What does this course cover?
Through online lectures, case studies and problem centred learning participants will gain an understanding of irritable bowel syndrome and its dietary management.
In particular the course will cover:
- IBS aetiopathogenesis and medical management
- Guidelines for the dietary management of IBS
- Mechanisms and evidence for first line dietary management of IBS
- Mechanisms and evidence for the low FODMAP diet in IBS
- Understand the principles behind the low FODMAP diet
What will I achieve?
By the end of the course you will
- Be competent and confident to provide first-line dietary advice for patients with irritable bowel syndrome
- Have an understanding of the criteria for symptom assessment in irritable bowel syndrome
- Have an understanding of the mechanisms of the low FODMAP diet
- Have a basic understanding of how to implement the low FODMAP diet
Please note this course will not provide delegates with a comprehensive understanding of how to implement the low FODMAP diet, however it will provide sufficient background information and evidence to support you developing your own learning in this area.
Who will I learn with?
Who is this for?
You must be a registered dietitian to join this course.
This course is designed for qualified dietitians in clinical practice who have limited clinical experience of managing patients with irritable bowel syndrome.
UK dietitians: you will need to provide evidence of your registration with the HCPC as part of your application.
Non-UK dietitians: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain dietitian's recognition approval before applying to the course.
Employer Funded - Payment by Invoice
This option is only available if your course fee is being paid for by your employer or company.
Please note you will need to provide the following information during checkout:
- full name of the company
- web URL address of the company
- company finance department address to which the course fee invoice will be posted to
- email address where the invoice can be sent
- purchase order number – this is a reference which your company may need to be shown on the invoice in order to make payment to King’s
- the name of the individual at the company, responsible for approving the invoice from King’s
- the contact details of this individual, including their job title, department; email and telephone number
If a NHS Trust is sponsoring your place on the course, please make sure you have a purchase order number ready before starting the application form.
Please note that King’s College London payment terms are 30 days from the date of the invoice.