French Level 5 (Language & Culture), Part 1
Not for credit
Available course dates:
From: 11 October 2023 To: 13 December 2023
By studying French Language and Culture Level 5, you will be able to understand a range of spoken and written discourses in different styles: factual, journalistic and non-specialist technical with ease, be able to express yourself orally and in written form using a range of accurate vocabulary and appropriate register, stating an opinion with confidence, have refined your intercultural competence by accessing political, historical and cultural information from a variety of sources and be able to understand a range of references to main historical events and cultural aspects.
What does this course cover?
Topics may include:
- Definitions of Culture
- Human rights
- The Bonaparte’s - Napoleon 1st and Napoleon III - administrative and political legacy
- Second Empire society glamour
- Victor Hugo: his views on history and the cultural impact of his ideas
Functions may include:
- Evaluating the importance of ideas
- Ranking concepts in view of context
- Participating in a discussion
- Comparing ideals as the ideals of the revolution ‘matured’ during the 19th century
Grammar may include:
- Declarative verbs
- Reported speech
- Interrogative (simple and complex) forms
- Comparative /superlative
- According to students´ needs: revision of grammar aspects introduced at the B1 level of the CEFR
What will I achieve?
When French Language and Culture Level 5 is complete, you will achieve the equivalent of B2/C1 level of the CEFR, level 4 of the RQF.
*The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.