French Level 5 (Language & Culture), Part 2
Not for credit
Available course dates:
From: 24 January 2024 To: 27 March 2024
By studying French Language and Culture Level 5, you will be able to understand a range of spoken and written discourses in different styles: factual, journalistic and non-specialist technical with ease, be able to express yourself orally and in written form using a range of accurate vocabulary and appropriate register, stating an opinion with confidence, have refined your intercultural competence by accessing political, historical and cultural information from a variety of sources and be able to understand a range of references to main historical events and cultural aspects.
What does this course cover?
Topics may include:
- The Transformation of Paris
- The Dreyfus Affair
- Emergence and role of the intellectuals during the Dreyfus Affair
- Art as an instrument of social reform (early 20th century)
- Modernism and Avant-garde movements
- Inter-war and post 2nd World War artistic, social, and philosophical currents
Functions may include:
- Explaining ideas and concepts clearly
- Communicating highly detailed information
- Understanding, interpreting, and discussing material studied in class
- Developing discussion and conversation skills
Grammar may include:
- French syntax in main and subordinate clauses
- Passive voice
- Subjunctive mood
- Idiomatic expressions
- According to students´ needs: revision of grammatical aspects introduced at the B1 level of the CEFR
What will I achieve?
When French Language and Culture Level 5 is complete, you will achieve the equivalent of B2/C1 level of the CEFR, level 4 of the RQF.
*The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.