Midwifery High Dependency Care Level 7 7KNIM771
Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
Available course dates:
From: 25 April 2024 To: 20 June 2024
15 March 2024
The course aims to build on practitioners' existing knowledge of high-risk midwifery situations. Recent advances in midwifery and obstetrics will be examined and evaluated in order to extend course participants' scope of professional practice to women requiring high dependency care. Practitioners will develop expert critical evaluation of the research evidence in relation to high dependency care, and advanced knowledge and skills in evaluating and building on strategies and interventions utilised in care provision. In practice they will develop specialist skills and competencies required to care for critically ill pregnant and parturient women. At the end of the course practitioners will have increased their awareness, specific skills and competencies necessary to provide care for high risk and/or critically ill women within the context of midwifery practice.
What will I achieve?
At the end of the course, practitioners will demonstrate:
- Advanced knowledge and understanding in the appraisal of the principles of high dependency care.
- Expert critical analysis of the research evidence and knowledge base for maternal high-dependency care.
- Advanced recognition of the complexity of pathological obstetric conditions and their implications for the care of women.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of the effects of altered maternal physiology during pregnancy and childbirth.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of the relevant physiological parameters to monitor and achieve equilibrium.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of pre-existing medical conditions contributing to high-risk situations in childbearing women.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding in the appraisal of the strategies and interventions utilised in the provision of high-dependency care.
Who will I learn with?
Head of Department, Midwifery and Senior Lecturer in Midwifery Education
Who is this for?
Qualified midwives and other health care professionals who want to expand their understanding of high-risk maternity care.
How will I be assessed?
Assignment and Clinical assessment document
What is the teaching schedule?
Term 3 -
25/04/2024, 09/05, 23/05, 06/06, 20/06