PhD Funding Proposal Development in Healthcare Research Level 7 - 7KANR001
Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
8 week course
Available course dates:
From: 25 April 2024 To: 13 June 2024
15 March 2024
This module for healthcare professionals aims to provide the student with the experience of preparing a grant application suitable for submission to a funding agency. Aimed at novice researchers in healthcare seeking to apply for Ph.D. or doctoral research funding, the module explores the funding application process from the design through submission and interview stages. Students work collaboratively with their peers and experienced researchers to develop their own ideas for developing a competitive grant application.
What does this course cover?
This module will enable students to prepare effectively for the development of a grant proposal for competitive, peer-reviewed funding that is strong from a methodological point of view, but also reads well and presents a convincing case for funding. This module will be suitable for home and international students seeking structured support and training for completing a competitive application for doctoral funding
- Grant application process.
- Funding opportunities and eligibility criteria (NIHR, ESRC, MRC, Welcome, healthcare charities such as Cancer Research UK, etc).
- The importance of the research question, title, aims, and objectives.
- Research protocol.
- Self-assessment- strengths, and weaknesses.
- Identifying training needs, selling yourself as a candidate.
- Project Management and Finance: study time schedule, budget, and plans for obtaining necessary ethical approvals.
- Demonstrating credible support: choosing supervisors and institutions.
- Pre-submission review.
- The interview process, skills, and a mock interview.
Learning is facilitated through lectures, required and recommended reading and seminars. The seminars will include student and guest presentations and hands-on exercises. Active student participation will be encouraged.
What will I achieve?
On successful completion of the module, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate expert understanding in the process of development and submission of a grant application;
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the criteria for developing a strong research proposal;
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of what constitutes Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) and its relevance to Ph.D. funding;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the research governance and oversight requirements, and be able to propose and appropriate project management plan (including GANTT chart, budget, and timelines for obtaining approvals;
- Demonstrate a comprehensive and advanced understanding of sales pitch and writing style to produce a convincing application with a good structure, flow, and argument;
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of the importance of communicating your work to different audiences including using Plain English and scientific summaries;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the process of individual research training needs analysis;
Who will I learn with?
Who is this for?
The module is designed for healthcare professionals
How will I be assessed?
3,000-word assignment. Detailed Research Plan
What is the teaching schedule?
Term 3 -
25/04/2024, 02/05, 16/05, 23/05, 06/06, 13/06