Do you care about educational inequality? Would you like to offer your guidance to shape the direction of a school and enable student success?
You can apply to be become a school governor as part of the Pathways to Governance programme. The programme is delivered by King’s Volunteering, working in partnership with Governors for Schools, a charity who place volunteers on school governing boards.
What is a school governor?
Governors offer guidance that shapes the direction of a school. This involves:
- working with other board members to plan the school’s strategic direction
- overseeing the school’s financial performance, ensuring money is well-spent
- holding the headteacher or school leadership to account.
A governor’s relationship with the school’s leadership team involves challenging existing processes to drive school improvement.
Although becoming a governor requires drive and commitment, you’ll enjoy many professional and personal rewards, including career development opportunities and the chance to support young people’s futures.
Who can apply?
There are 12 spots available for this programme, which is open to all students at King’s and would be of particular interest to those who are:
- passionate about addressing educational inequality
- enthusiastic about educational policy, teacher education and education research
- interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the challenges faced by schools in the UK and in becoming a school governor
- seeking to develop and nurture their leadership and professional skills.
How do I apply?
The application will involve answering the question: Why would you like to take part in the Pathway to Governance programme? (500 words max)
Click here to apply.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 18 February 2024, 23.59 (GMT)
Want to know more?
Connecting with Charities
If you’re new to school governance or charity trusteeship, join us on Wednesday 29 November, from 13.00 –14.00 (GMT) for the webinar Board-level volunteering, what’s it all about?
In this webinar, we’ll be joined by Governors for Schools and Getting on Board, who will highlight the need for a more diverse board, why the role exists and how becoming a school governor can shape your own personal development and career aspirations.
Sign up to the webinar.
Information Session: Pathways to Governance
Want to know more about Pathways to Governance, before applying to the programme?
Join this online information session, taking place on Wednesday 7 February 2024, from 14.00 –15.00 (GMT) to learn more about the programme, what you’ll gain from this opportunity, how you’ll be supported and how to apply.
Sign up to the webinar.