I recently joined the Estate & Facilities All Hands meeting and during our conversation we talked about how people on one campus don’t tend to visit our other campuses very often. In response, Paloma Lisboa, Director of Operations for Estates & Facilities, suggested a photography competition to show off the best of spring across our campuses.
As we are now officially into British Summer Time with the clocks springing forward recently, I wanted to share with you all our photography competition, King’s in Spring on Campus.
With the delights of spring all around us; from the blooming magnolias framing the magnificent entrance of St Mary le Strand in the heart of the newly pedestrianised Strand campus, to the cherry blossoms lining the streets surrounding our university buildings I am reminded, and often surprised, by the many hidden corners of calm our campuses can provide. My entry is featured above and I’m sure you can do much better!
This competition is the perfect opportunity to take some time away from screens, labs and meetings; reconnect with nature and celebrate our campuses. Perhaps take a walk with a colleague and seek out some of these hidden and not so hidden spots and share them with us. Maybe you have a view from your office window that neatly captures the theme of this competition, or for those new to King’s, this may be the perfect opportunity to explore the local area surrounding your place of work.
- The competition is open to all King’s students and staff and the photograph must have been taken by the entrant and be submitted via your King’s email account.
- Photographs must have been taken on a King’s Campus (Strand, Waterloo (including Lavington Street), Guy’s, Denmark Hill, St Thomas’, Shrivenham) or King’s Service Centre in Cornwall.
- Entrants can submit a single photograph in JPEG or PNG format, include your name in the file name and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include in the covering email with your photograph attached:
> Your full name
> Staff or Student
> Course of study if you are a student
> Date the picture was taken
- Location of the photograph.
- Images should be a minimum of 1MB and no larger than 5MB in size.
- We are aware that digital photography does allow for some image enhancement. You can enter an images that has had spots, scratches or other blemishes removed. You can have worked on the colour or enhanced the image for the sake of composition. You can also crop the image to improve composition. However, we will not accept composite images – entries that stitch two or more separate photographs together to make one image or entries that superimpose elements photographed separately into an image.
- The competition closes at 17.00 on Friday 5 May 2023. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- All entries will be judged by a panel on the following criteria:
> Works to the theme
> Technical ability
- Prizes will be awarded in the form of vouchers for First (£250), Second (£100) and Third places (£50) and the winning entries showcased on King’s intranet, in King’s Essentials, on the student news pages and in the student newsletter. The images may also be shared across King’s social media channels.
- Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs. By entering the competition you grant King’s the right to publish and exhibit the photographs in print, social media and on the kcl.ac.uk website and internal.kcl.ac.uk intranet in perpetuity.
- General shots of an area of the campus which includes people are fine. However, if the clear focus of the photograph is of a person or small group, permission must be granted by the individuals concerned before you submit your entry. Please provide evidence of this using this form. Guidance on consent for photography, including for children, is available on the intranet.