Both undergraduate and postgraduate students can get involved in the investment fund by participating in the annual competition, or as a member of the Core Investment Committee.
To give students a realistic experience of the investment decision process, building a portfolio and presenting their investment ideas to an expert audience, the fund runs an annual competition. At the start of each semester, students form into teams selecting a portfolio of 8-10 European equities by April. The performance of these stocks will be tracked from April to late June and the teams with the best-performing portfolios will be invited to a portfolio pitch event in June/July to present the rationale behind their investment slections.
The investment fund will then adjust its portfolio according to the recommendations of the three best investment pitches, allocating £15,000 to the stocks recommended by the winning student teams.
Recruitment for the Competition Teams occurs twice a year, at the start of each semester. To ensure fairness and transparency, selection is made on the basis of applicants’ scores using the VMock online CV review software. The application steps are listed below:
Postgraduate Competition Team:
1. Students in eligible degree programmes are sent an online sign-up form through KEATS and e-mail.
2. Students must then submit personal and course details along with a VMock score using the form.
3. Students must achieve a VMock score 65 per cent to be admitted to a Competition Team.
4. Eligible students will be assigned randomly to a team of 10 with other students from their course.
Undergraduate Competition Team:
1. Undergraduate students are sent an online sign-up form through Keats and e-mail. by submitting their VMock score and personal and course details through an online sign-up form.
2. They must meet the same 65 per cent benchmark to be admitted to the Fund.
3. Eligible undergraduate students will be randomly assigned to a team of 10 with other undergraduate students.
The Core Investment Committee is a new King’s Investment Fund project which aims to generate and execute trading ideas throughout the year. It will act independently of the competition and manage a separate pool of capital. Membership of the Core Investment Committee will provide students with advanced investment knowledge the opportunity to participate actively in trading and investing activities.
The Core Investment Committee will meet weekly and vote on investment proposals. Investment proposals that are passed with an absolute majority will be executed by the Vice President and confirmed by the President.
Recruitment for the Core Investment Committee is currently closed.
The selection process for the Core Investment Committee is more extensive, as participation requires a higher amount of work and knowledge, and fewer places are available.
1. Initially, a candidate from any subject and degree level may submit a CV and cover letter through an online portal.
2. The CV and cover letter are reviewed by a member of the existing Core Investment Committee.
3. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a 20-30 minute interview to discuss their motivations for joining the Fund, and their knowledge of investing and finance.
4. If the candidate is successful in this interview, they will be invited to another 30 minute interview, in which they must pitch a given stock of their choice.
5. Once the candidate has passed all three stages, they will be invited to join the Core Investment Committee.