There are many benefits to a year in industry:
• Stand out in a competitive global labour market
• Gain practical skills and experience employers are looking for
• Fast-track your career and discover your professional interests
• Build up essential professional networks and industry connections
• Potentially receive a graduate role upon completion
"I have definitely improved my intercultural communication skills and my understanding of the financial services sector. I can feel the difference when I apply for graduate jobs now. A placement year is an amazing experience and will pay off in the long term."
Aline Lechartier, International Management BSc, Assurance Trainee, Financial Services division at PwC, Hong Kong. 2018/19
Our students have worked in a range of different organisations from start-ups and small businesses to multinational corporations across the world from New York to Singapore.
- Kraft Heinz, UK
- PwC, Hong Kong
- IBM, Singapore
- KingKoil, Thailand
- BNP Paribas, Germany
- McKinsey, Russia
In order to undertake a year in industry in your third year, you must:
- Be enrolled on a 4-year degree programme
- Have achieved an average of a 2:2 in your first year*
- Have secured your own placement by May of your second year.
*Not applicable to students on the International Management BSc course
All students are responsible for securing their own placement and such opportunities can never guaranteed, however our dedicated Global Placements Team provides extensive support and advice.
A carefully designed programme of placement events and workshops will help you to develop professional skills, giving you the confidence to find and secure the right opportunity, and make an excellent impression once you are there:
- 1-1 Careers Consultations
- Placement Preparation workshops
- Employer Networking Events
- Peer Learning & Placement Student Social Events
- Dedicated in-placement support
- An online Placements Hub full of resources and guidance
- King’s CareerConnect: our online vacancy board advertising hundreds of job opportunities.