Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Self-isolation guidance for students

 Updated: 25 January 2022

If you experience symptoms or test positive for COVID-19, you must self-isolate and not come onto campus.

If you have COVID-19 symptoms, arrange to have a PCR test by ordering it online or by calling 119.

If you need to self-isolate you must tell the university by completing the King’s self-isolation form so we can support you.

General self-isolation information

We have compiled the following information to help you understand what you need to do, what to expect and how we will support you when you are self-isolating.

 You need to self-isolate:

Please note: you may be asked by NHS Test & Trace, King's university or King's Residences that you need to self-isolate.

While you are self-isolating you will not be able to attend any in-person, on-campus teaching sessions. Your timetabled on-campus activities will be made available to you remotely wherever possible and you will be able to remain engaged with your studies if you feel able to do so. Your faculty and personal tutor will be available to support any concerns that you may have.

The health, mental health and wellbeing of our students is our priority. We know how difficult it is for those of you who need to self-isolate.
If you need to self-isolate for any reason, we will stay in touch with you to check in on your welfare and offer practical and emotional support, including how to access our mental health and wellbeing services. You can find out how to access Student Support & Wellbeing remotely in this article.

We have a range of free wellbeing services and support and online resources available to all undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students.

  • Togetherall – if you need to chat with somebody, try Togetherall, an online community that provides anonymous support for people experiencing mental health issues as well as access to trained counsellors and online support courses. Register using your King’s email address
  • Pro-Counselling at My Wellbeing Space – we have partnered with Pro-Counselling to provide an out-of-hours Counselling Service. You can use this free and confidential service when you would like to talk about an issue or problem out-of-hours and feel that you cannot wait to see a counsellor
  • Our Chaplaincy – our chaplaincy team, for all faiths and none, can be contacted by emailing
  • The wellbeing hub signposts and links to a range of resources and activities - this is developing and expanding every day
  • Articles and advice on a wide range of topics are available via Student Service Online
  • A range of virtual events and activities are run by our Student’s Union, KCLSU
  • Mind, the mental health charity has some useful information on its website on protecting your wellbeing whilst in self-isolation which you may find helpful

We know it can feel boring and lonely when you are self-isolating, so do keep in touch with friends and family by phone, video chat and social media. Additionally, we encourage you to take part in virtual ResiLife sessions or join the online BeActive activity programme so that you continue to have regular interactions with other students.

For those students self-isolating within our residences, our residences team and welfare leads will provide support on site, bringing any grocery or food deliveries or parcels that you have organised to your door and checking in regularly with you.

Your questions answered

  • Complete the King’s self-isolation form as a first notification.
  • Let your department or personal tutor know if your symptoms are impacting your ability to study.
  • If you experience symptoms or test positive for coronavirus, you must self-isolate and do not come onto campus.

If you think you have COVID-19, you need to tell us:

  • If you experience symptoms, you must self-isolate and do not come onto campus.
  • Request a COVID-19 PCR test immediately through the NHS.
  • Complete the King’s self-isolation form as a first notification.
  • If you’re living in a King’s Residence, please also inform your residence staff so they can support you while you’re self-isolating.
  • Stay at home until you have completed the self-isolation period and feel fully recovered, or received a negative PCR test and feel well enough to return to campus

  • Provide a full list of close contacts to the NHS Test and Trace team as requested.
  • Complete the King’s self-isolation form. If you have already reported that you have symptoms as a first notification and/or if your test was precautionary and you do not have symptoms, please complete this as an ‘update [to] your circumstances’.
  • Use the self-isolation form to provide information about if and where you have attended campus in the 48 hours prior to experiencing symptoms or testing positive (whichever is sooner).
  • The KCL case management team will contact you to ask you to provide a list of everyone you have come into close contact with on campus, it is important that you respond and provide as much detail as possible.

If you have symptoms, arrange to have a PCR test by ordering it online or by calling 119. You must put your term time address, not your family home address, when filling in your details.

Throughout the pandemic, we have been working closely with UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), NHS Test and Trace and local health protection teams and with their input, take action in response to suspected and positive cases of coronavirus among our students and staff.


King’s Residences

General information about self-isolation

If you are required to self-isolate you should not leave your household (which is usually your flat or house), unless:

  • it is for a medical emergency and you have been advised by NHS111 or the emergency services that it is necessary for you to leave
  • in the event of a fire alarm

If you need to leave the residence for these reasons, we will ask you to take measures to keep safe, such as wearing a face covering and keeping a safe distance from others. 

You should not attend any classes or events in-person, on campus when you are self-isolating or have face-to-face contact with anyone outside your 'household'. 

You should stay within your flat or bedroom, depending on what you have been told. Always keep a safe distance from others, wear a face covering and wash your hands regularly. Take care to regularly wipe down any surfaces, such as kitchen sides or sinks, with disinfectant wipes or a cloth soaked in hand-hot detergent solution, and don’t share cutlery and crockery.

No, you must stay in your flat or bedroom depending on what you have been advised to do and follow the  NHS guidance for self-isolation. The university and King’s Residences are working closely with NHS Test and Trace and may also notify you if you need to self-isolate.

We will support you when you are self-isolating.

Supplies can be sent to your King's residence reception and our staff will bring the supplies to your flat.

Contact your doctor/clinic as soon as you can to inform them that you are self-isolating and seek their advice. Do not travel to that appointment until your doctor/clinic has confirmed you are able to attend.

Yes, you should self-isolate in accordance with Government guidance. Contact your doctor, or specialist to discuss any concerns you have relating to your medical condition and they will be able to advise you on how best to manage your condition during your period of self-isolation.

Residence teams and Welfare Leads will be checking in regularly each week with those who are self-isolating. Welfare Leads are also available 20.00–08.00 7 days a week. You can also find out how to access our other Student Support & Wellbeing services remotely in this article.


Supplies, practical and financial help

You may not be stocked up on all the food supplies you need when you need to self-isolate.

Any grocery deliveries or food deliveries you arrange can be left at reception and these will be brought to your flat for you.

You will be able to arrange for essential items to be delivered to you.

There are many options for deliveries in London, including:

Ordering groceries and toiletries

If for any reason you still find yourself unable to access food then please contact the Residence Manager and team in your residence or your Welfare leads.


You should register with a Doctor online, who will then be able to provide you with a prescription electronically. You can then use popular chemists such as Superdrug, Lloyds Pharmacy or Boots to order your medication to be delivered to you. You can arrange for any medicines to be delivered to reception and they will be brought to your flat for you. If you need help collecting medicines, please speak to the Welfare Leads or the Residence Manager for support.

Whilst self-isolating you should not use any Laundry Rooms. Please contact the team at your residence who will be able to support you.

Your residence will detail the specific arrangements for your accommodation.

We will organise for any post or deliveries to be taken to be brought to your flat for you.

You can contact the IT helpdesk for support with any IT related issues. You will not be able to visit a Tech Bar whilst you are self-isolating.