Dr Rubia Gouveia
150 Stamford Street
London, SE1 9NH
About Dr Gouveia
Dr Rubia Figueredo Gouveia is a visiting researcher from Brazil. She holds a one-year grant from CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior).
Rubia graduated in Chemistry in 2003, then undertook a Master project (2003-05) and a PhD (2005-10) under the supervision of Prof. Fernando Galembeck at UNICAMP, looking at the electrostatic charging and nanomechanical properties of insulator materials.
Her current project entitled ‘Comparison of bulk and surface-mediated wormlike micelle formation’ involves the characterisation and comparison of micellar structures formed by an anionic surfactant in solution and at a solid/liquid interface, in order to extract the parameters which direct the micellisation process. She is studying in particular the effect of adding positively and negatively charged co-solutes, both monomeric and polymeric, in solution and at an interface, on the shape and size of the micellar aggregates. For this purpose, she uses both rheology and AFM (in collaboration with Dr Patrick Mesquida, Physics Department).
- Gouveia, R. F.; Ducati, T. R. D.; Burgo, T. A. L.; Rezende, C. A.; Bernardes, J. S.; Galembeck, F. Eletrização de dielétricos: novas propostas para resolver velhos problemas. Química Nova 2010, 33, 2103.
- Teixeira, Z.; Otubo, L.; Gouveia, R. F.; Alves, O. L. Preparation and Characterization of Powders and Thin Films of Bi2AlNbO7 and Bi2InNbO7 Pyrochlore Oxides. Materials Chemistry and Physics 2010, 124, 552.
- Pereira, A. G. B.; Gouveia, R. F.; Carvalho, G. M.; Rubira, A. F.; Muniz, E. C. Polymer blends based on PEO and starch: Miscibility and spherulite growth rate evaluated through DSC and optical microscopy. Materials Science & Engineering. C, Biomimetic Materials, Sensors and Systems 2009, 29, 499.
- Rezende C. A.; Gouveia, R. F.; da Silva, M. A.; Galembeck, F. Detection of charge distributions in insulator surfaces. Journal of Physics Condensed Matter 2009, 21, 263002.
- Gouveia, R. F.; Galembeck, F. Electrostatic charging of hydrophilic particles due to water adsorption. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2009, 131, 11381.
- Gouveia, R. F.; Costa C. A. R.; Galembeck, F. Water Vapor Adsorption Effect on Silica Surface Electrostatic Patterning. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2008, 112, 17193.
- Galembeck, F.; Valadares, L. F.; Braganca, F. C.; Gouveia, R. F.; Silva, M. C. V. M. Morphology and microchemistry of colloidal polymers. Macromolecular Symposia 2006, 245, 307.
- Gouveia, R. F.; Costa C. A.R.; Galembeck, F. Electrostatic patterning of a silica surface: A new model for charge build-up on dielectric solid. Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2005, 109, 4631.
- Costa, C. A. R.; Gouveia, R. F.; Rezende, C. A.; Galembeck, F. A new and simple procedure for electric potential mapping by phase contrast in AFM. Microscopy & Microanalysis 2005, 11, 14.
- Galembeck, F.; Ramos, A. F.; Gouveia, R. F. Eletricidade estática: Onde ficam as cargas? Ciência Hoje 2004, 35, 32.