The Future Inventors project supports the design and realisation of a new lab space in the Museum Nazionale Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo Da Vinci, in Milan, Italy. The space aims to support learner engagement with STEM content through the medium of digital culture.
The research will examine and inform the development of pedagogical activities afforded by the new space. The research involves both reviews of the literature to identify appropriate educational theories to guide the design of the space and its constituent parts, and empirical research to examine:
- the development of pedagogical innovations in the space
- the professional development of teachers
- the design of teaching techniques
- the impact on participants
- the changes in confidence on the part of teachers to engage with new techniques
- the changes in perception of learners.
To examine changes in teacher confidence in teaching STEM content related to digital culture, and changes in teacher confidence relating to the use of digital tools.
To research the development, facilitation, and implementation of the Future Inventors pedagogical approach.
The research will involve the use of both quantitative and qualitative research methods including:
- Pre and post surveys to examine changes in teachers’ confidence in teaching STEM in the context of digital culture and the use of digital tools
- Pre and post surveys to examine changes in students’ perceptions of STEM relating to digital cultural
- Semi-structured interviews with participating teachers and Museum staff to complement survey data
- Observations of training sessions and the development of new pedagogical techniques
- Collections of artefacts (programme session outlines; classroom lesson plans; resources; projects etc) that illustrate teacher, student and Museum staff outputs.
Fondazione Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci
Professor in Science Education
Professor of Mathematics Education
Lecturer in Chemistry Education
Lecturer in Science Education
Senior Lecturer in Mathematics Education and Inclusion
Senior Lecturer in Science Education
Funding Body: Fondazione Rocca
Period: June 2019 - February 2022