Not for credit
Available course dates:
From: 24 January 2024 To: 27 March 2024
By studying German Level 5, you will be able to understand a range of spoken and written discourses in different styles: factual, journalistic and non-specialist technical with ease, be able to express yourself orally and in written form using a range of accurate vocabulary and appropriate register, stating an opinion with confidence, be able to refine your intercultural competence by accessing political, historical and cultural information from a variety of sources.
Student feedback: The teacher selects really interesting materials which go far beyond the textbook - these provide a good level of challenge and encourage us to formulate complex opinions during discussions. - anon.
What does this course cover?
Topics may typically include:
- Historical events in Germany
- Blunders in history
- Music and feelings
Functions may typically include:
- Understanding complex content
- Expressing detailed ideas, opinions and points of view
- Expressing emotional statements
- Writing a summary using information from different sources
- Reproducing other peoples’ statements
- Using colloquial and idiomatic expressions
Grammar may typically include:
- Use of prepositions with nouns, verbs and adjectives
- Indirect speech and Konjunktiv I
- Modal particles
- According to students’ needs: revision of grammar aspects introduced at the B1 level of the CEFR.
What will I achieve?
When German Level 5 is complete, you will achieve equivalent of B2/C1 level of the CEFR, level 4 of the RQF.
*The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.