Not for credit
Available course dates:
From: 10 October 2023 To: 12 December 2023
From: 11 October 2023 To: 13 December 2023
From: 22 January 2024 To: 25 March 2024
From: 25 January 2024 To: 28 March 2024
From: 24 April 2024 To: 26 June 2024
By studying Mandarin Level 1, you will be able to communicate in very basic everyday-life situations, including greetings, daily activities, finding your way, telling the time and date, making simple purchases, ordering a meal, etc, be able to understand very simple oral and written texts and ascertain specific information on simple topics, have developed an insight into Mandarin - speaking life, culture and society.
What does this course cover?
- Greetings and farewells
- Names and titles
- Nationalities and languages
- Likes and dislikes
- Family and family members
- Telephone number
- Greeting in formal and informal ways
- Introducing oneself and others
- Addressing people properly
- Finding out someone’s nationality, identification and language background
- Formal and informal ways of addressing others
- Using numbers (birth date, telephone numbers, etc.)
- Exchanging personal information
- Expressing agreement/disagreement
- Talking about family members
- Asking and telling people’s age
- Asking and giving contact details
- Introduction to pinyin and the tones
- Introduction to radicals, strokes and writing rules
- Word order for sentences
- Sentences with a verbal predicate
- Sentences with a nominal predicate
- Sentences with an adjectival predicate
- Sentences with 是
- Questions ending with 吗, 呢, 吧
- Questions with interrogative pronouns 哪, 哪里, 哪儿, 怎么样, 几, 多少, 多大,
- The position of the adverbs 也, 只, 都
- Negative sentences with 不
- Measure words for nouns
- Sentences with 在
- Pivotal sentences with请
- Sentences with the modal verbs 可以
- Question patterns: X 不 X , X 还是Y
What will I achieve?
When Mandarin Level 1 is complete, you will achieve the equivalent of A1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), entry level of the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF).
NOTE: In order to complete the level you must complete parts 2 and 3.
*The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.