The Menzies Australia Institute is the home of Australian research, teaching and engagement at King’s College London. Our aim is to be the global leader for research and teaching about Australia as well as a focal point for connecting Australian and British expertise and communities.
Since its founding in 1829 King’s College London has been at the cutting edge of research and teaching. At the Menzies Australia Institute we continue that tradition in the diverse and globally-connected London of today by working with world-leading researchers and partners in the UK and Australia.
What we do
Work with researchers from across King’s College London and our strategic partners to support individual and collaborative projects that deepen understanding of Australia.Research
- Act to deepen research and innovation with Australia at King’s College London.
- Seek to support individual and collaborative projects whose creativity and originality can drive innovation in higher education research and teaching.
- Convene undergraduate modules on Australian history, literature and film, provide Australian perspectives in a range of other undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes at King’s, and supervise Australia-focused postgraduate research projects in a welcoming, collaborative and creative research environment.
- Working with partners and communities in Australia seek to develop and understand how over 60,000 years of knowledge, encounters and connections in Australia can help us shape new ways of teaching, learning and understanding,
- Build and sustain connections between academic research, government, business and wider communities in Britain and in Australia.
- Provide a space for engagement, discussion and scrutiny of public policy.
King’s Indigenous is a platform for Australian First Nations knowledge, experience and leadership in Britain and beyond. This acknowledges the calamitous histories and ongoing legacies of British/Australian First Nations encounters, while holding open a space for complex, contested and creative futures.
The Menzies Australia Institute will be launching our platform in 2019, initially focusing on two pathways:
- Knowledge Exchange (Major joint research project)
- Indigenous Leadership Fellows Programme
Australia UK Leadership Forum
In partnership with the Policy Institute we help deliver the Australia UK Leadership Forum (AUKLF). AUKLF allows for dialogue between Australian and UK policy makers, business leaders and academics on topics including:
- Economic cooperation and trade
- Cultural collaboration
The next forum will be taking place in London in 2020. In preparation for the next forum we will be running a series entitled Australia and the UK in conversation – which will seek to create discussion, dialogue and ultimately working papers for our forum in 2020.
Find out more about partnerships with Australian Universities.