Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Go to…

What's next in housing?

Stream 2 Housing F Feature image 800x430

If you’re leaving King’s this summer, your housing situation might be changing too. Read on to learn more about council tax, house shares and private rentals after you graduate.

Can I still live with students after I leave King’s?

It’s fine to carry on living with students after your course ends. However, your tax status changes as soon as your course finishes, which means you'll have to start paying council tax for the property. Always check your student status letter for your course end date, you will be liable for the bill from the following day.

If you’re the only non-student living in your house, you will be eligible for the whole bill.

Top tip: If you’re the only non-student over the age of 18 in your house, you may be able to claim a single person exemption, which gives you a 25% discount off your tax bill.

Go to GOV.UK: Apply for a Council Tax discount to get started

For more information, check out our article When do I become liable to start paying council tax?

How can I find private accommodation in London?

London’s housing market can be competitive and fast-moving. If you're looking for private accommodation but don’t know where to start, reading our article I need help finding somewhere to live can help.

You can also find information by watching our Videos about housing in London or visiting the University of London Housing Services webpage.

What housing support can I get from King’s?

You’re able to get help from King’s Money & Housing Advice team for up to four months after your course ends. Depending on your query, they can provide advice or signpost you to relevant support.

The team has already created a range of articles to help you know your rights when renting in the private sector: