Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Go to…

What's next in mental health support?

Mental Health whats

Your access to mental health services may change after you graduate. Read on to learn how to access information and support once you leave King’s.

Can I access King’s Mental Health & Wellbeing services after I leave?

Your access to King’s Counselling & Mental Health Service will end when you finish your course, which is the official course end date as stated on your student record. However, how this is managed will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

It’s a good idea to have a conversation about leaving with the person or people supporting you. They can help you create a plan and investigate other forms of support.

For information about our other support services, please read our article What support services do I have access to as a graduate?

Where can I go for support with my mental health after I leave King’s?

NHS treatment

The types of support you can access will depend on your needs. For many people, the first step is talking to their GP. They may be prescribed medication and/or talking therapy.

You can learn more about the help available at NHS Mental health services.

Important to know: Waiting lists for NHS talking therapies can be long. Currently, the NHS aims to see 75% of patients referred for mental health issues within six weeks, and 95% within 18 weeks.

Private counselling

Some people opt for private counselling or psychotherapy. The waiting times tend to be shorter than for NHS therapy.

There are many different types of therapy available in the UK. Make sure you research different people to ensure you find someone who’s the right fit for you and your situation.

It’s also a good idea to check whether a prospective therapist is suitably qualified. The British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) are the two main awarding bodies in the UK, and both list registered practitioners on their websites.

The website Psychology Today: Find Counselling Near You is a useful tool when searching for therapists by location.

Important to know: Private therapy can be costly, with many therapists charging between £50-£100 per session or more. Make sure you discuss fees at the start of your therapy.

Other sources of support

Depending on your situation, you may also be able to get support from a range of other places. These might include:

  • Peers, family and friends
  • Charities
  • Community support services
  • Your workplace, through the Employee Assistance programme

For more information about your options, please visit Mind: Seeking help for a mental health problem.

What are my rights if I disclose a mental health condition to my employer?

Your rights in the workplace will depend on whether your mental health condition classifies as a disability. According to the Equality Act 2010, you classify as disabled if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial, adverse and long-term effect on your normal daily activities.

If you qualify as disabled, your employer is required to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.

To learn more about your rights in the workplace, check out these webpages: