About Pre-sessional 2020
Pre-sessional academic English taught online for 2020
All Pre-sessional programmes in 2020 will be delivered and assessed in a flexible online format with an on-campus transition period at the end of the programme, ensuring that you are able to continue your journey to your chosen degree of study in the 2020/21 academic year.
The Pre-sessional programme is for students who require English academic preparation before they begin their studies at King's. Students will participate in online webinars, seminars and tutorials and will complete online interactive exercises, homework tasks and prepare for assessment.
Find out more
Why study the Pre-sessional with King's:
Hear from Shen who joined the Combined Pre-sessional in 2019. In this video she talks about her experience on the online component of the Pre-sessional and how the excellent teaching and flexibility helped her prepare for the challenges of her postgraduate studies.
- Flexible study options - fit study around your schedule,
- Synchronous interaction online with teachers and fellow students,
- Regular personal feedback on your work and progress in synchronous online tutorials,
- Work at your own pace and develop your confidence,
- High-quality, innovative, ELTons award-nominated online lessons,
- Full access to King's online resources as a student of the university,
- Technical support provided Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm GMT.
- Quality teaching with synchronous interaction with a teacher two to four times a week,
- Webinar and/or seminar each week – with up to 18 students and a teacher,
- Small group tutorial every week with a teacher. Generally 30 minutes in duration,
- A choice of times to attend tutorials and asynchronous lessons can fit around work, or studies, or family,
- Flexible self-study through video lessons, online interactive exercises, homework tasks and assessments. Lessons focus on all four skills; reading, writing, listening and speaking, as well as grammar and vocabulary development,
- Each week you will be required to submit homework tasks. You will receive feedback on these and and support in developing your skills,
- Technical support offered Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm GMT.
Download the sample timetable.
There will be a short on-campus transition period.
|Programme||Online induction* ||Teaching start date ||Teaching end date|
|w/c 18 May 2020
||26 May 2020
11 September 2020
w/c 22 June 2020
|29 June 2020
11 September 2020
|w/c 27 July 2020
||03 August 2020
||11 September 2020
*You will be required to complete your induction in the week prior to teaching commencing.
Application deadlines for 2020 entry
- 16-week course – 08 May 2020
- 11-week courses – 15 June 2020
- 6-week courses – 20 July 2020
- A webinar is a teacher-directed online session focusing on key language and skills,
- A seminar focuses on student discussion and help with assigned tasks,
- A tutorial focuses on feedback and progress, generally a small group 3 to 4 students, tailored to your learning needs.
Find out more
16, 11 & 6 week Pre-sessional FAQ COVID-19
How to apply