China Scholarship Council.
Up to 100 K-CSC joint scholarship awards are available to support students from China who are seeking to start an MPhil/PhD degree at King's College London in the 2021/22 academic year.
King's College London and the China Scholarship Council (CSC) hold an agreement to jointly fund Chinese students to pursue doctoral degrees at King's College London.
Up to 100 K-CSC scholarship awards are available for the 2021-22 competition.
Please use the postgraduate course finder to search for a suitable doctoral programme.
To find a supervisor at King's, please click here for guidance.
Applications Open: 26 October 2020 | Applications Close: 3 Jan 2021, 23:59 GMT (Extended from 6 Dec)
Successful students have their full international tuition fees covered by the university and receive, from the CSC, an annual living allowance (currently set at a rate of £1200-1350 per month) plus overseas student health cover, a return airfare to London and visa application fees. The Scholarships are valid for up to 4 years.
Bench fees are NOT covered by this scholarship.
To be eligible, you MUST:
- Be citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China;
- Be due to commence a full-time MPhil/PhD research degree programme at King’s College London in the 2021/22 academic year, i.e. from 1 October 2021, and by no later than 31 March 2022;
- Satisfy criteria set out by the CSC, e.g. relating to age, education, and employment – please visit their website for information (http://www.csc.edu.cn);
- Agree to return to China upon completion of your studies/research;
- Have applied to King’s College London for the scholarship (as instructed in the ‘Application Process’ section below) by the deadline of 3 Jan 2021, 23:59 GMT;
- By the deadline of 18 Jan 2021, 09:00 GMT, you must: 1. have submitted all the required documentation to support your admissions application; 2. have met the English language requirements for your chosen research programme; and 3. ensure that your referees have submitted their reference(s) to support your admissions application;
- Also, follow the separate local application procedure within China and submit the required documentation to the CSC by its stated deadlines (see http://www.csc.edu.cn for further details).
Please note that:
- Students who have already commenced their doctoral degree at King’s are not eligible
- These scholarships cannot be held on a part-time basis
- Distance learning programmes are not eligible
- Professional doctorate degrees (such as the MD(Res) and DClinPsy) are not eligible
- Joint PhD programmes are not eligible
- Students who fail to apply to both King’s and the CSC, as appropriate, will not be considered
- These scholarships cannot commence prior to October 2021
Please refer to the attached 'K-CSC 21-22 Guidance for Applicants' document for details about the terms and conditions.
Please be aware that students funded through this scheme must abide by any additional terms and conditions set by the CSC. Scholars will be required to enter into a legally binding agreement with the CSC before they are able to take up the scholarship. If there are any significant developments that could affect/hamper a scholar's expected completion of the PhD, scholars are advised to get in touch with the Education Section in the Chinese Embassy.
Applications for the 2021/22 K-CSC awards are accepted from 26 October 2020 until 23:59 GMT on 3 January 2021*.
*APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED - The application timeline has been extended to offer applicants more time to apply and gather supporting documentation. New dates are reflected in the instructions below.
Please follow the instructions below.
1. By the deadline of 23:59 GMT on 3 Jan 2021, you MUST:
- Apply to King’s College London for a full-time MPhil/PhD degree programme with a 2021-22 start date (i.e. from 1 October 2021) using the King’s online admissions application (https://apply.kcl.ac.uk/).*
- Within the 'Research Proposal' section (Supporting Statement Category) of your King's online admissions application, confirm that you have identified a King’s supervisor that you would like to study under and state the proposed supervisor’s name. Normally, your programme will sit within the same department as your proposed supervisor. If you are unsure what programme to apply for, please check this with your proposed supervisor and/or department. For guidance about finding a supervisor, please click here.
- On the funding part of your King's online Admissions Application Form, ensure you tick the box at item 5 (Award Scheme Code or Name) and enter the code: 2122-KCSC
Please copy and paste the code exactly! Students who fail to input this exact code as instructed will not be picked up when we extract details from the admissions system, so it is vital that you do this correctly!
2. By the deadline of 09:00 GMT on 18 Jan 2021, you MUST:
ensure that you have submitted all the required supporting documentation as part of your online Admissions application, to include:
- Official degree transcripts and certificates, including professional/university-made translations. Please note that if your degree is from a Chinese institution, you must also provide your graduation certificate;
- Proof of English Proficiency;
- References: Some programmes require two references, and some only require one reference. Your online admissions application will indicate the correct number of references needed for your programme, and the admissions system will automatically submit a request to your given referee(s) once you have submitted your admissions application. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your referee(s) submit the reference(s) on time;
- If applicable, you may also be required to provide a personal statement, writing sample and/or research proposal. Requirements vary between programmes so please refer to the online prospectus and admissions application for guidance about all necessary documentation.
3. Submit a separate application to the CSC by its stated deadline and follow the local application procedures in China. Please note that the local CSC application process is separate to the process run by King’s College London, and their deadlines may differ.
*Students who have already applied for admissions but deferred entry to 2021/22, must update their online admissions application for 2021/22 entry and include the code 2122-KCSC. The same deadline of 3 Jan 2021 at 23:59 GMT, applies.
PLEASE BE AWARE that material from your admissions application will be extracted and used as part of the assessment/selection process. As part of the standard admissions process, you may be contacted about missing material/documents, however this is not guaranteed and it is your responsibility to ensure that all the relevant information and supporting materials are provided in time.
Applicants who fail to apply as instructed will not be eligible for consideration!
Terms and conditions
K-CSC 21-22 Guidance for Applicants (Updated Nov2020) (0.19 MB)
Once the application deadline has passed, the Admissions Office and the Centre for Doctoral Studies (CDS) Office will gather and record the details of all the applications received that state 2122-KCSC as the Award Scheme Code.
The Admissions Office and the CDS Office will check the eligibility of all applicants, and all applications that are deemed eligible will be circulated to faculties for assessment.
Academic faculties will put forward their ranked shortlist of candidates to the CDS office by 15 March 2021. The CDS office will consider the nominations across all academic faculties and decide on the university’s final list of nominees. Only those candidates who have met the English entry requirements for their programme and obtained an admissions offer will be eligible for nomination to the CSC.
As soon as the CDS office has finalized the university’s list of nominees, we will notify applicants of their nomination status.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates who are successfully chosen for nomination will be issued a ‘Confirmation of Nomination’ letter by the CDS office, which will confirm that King’s College London agrees to waiver the tuition fees for a scholar if they are eventually successful with the K-CSC scholarship. Please note that this letter is separate to the standard admissions offer letter provided by the admissions office for the degree programme.
The CDS office will submit the university’s final list of nominees to the CSC by their nomination deadline of 19 Mar 2021 (approx. date).
The CSC will conduct a separate selection process based on the applications it receives directly within China, and they will evaluate candidates according to CSC requirements and priorities. The CSC will make the final overall decision about the awards and they will normally confirm their list of successful scholarship recipients with the CDS office towards the end of May/early June.
- Students can only be successful with a K-CSC scholarship if they have been chosen/supported by BOTH the King’s College London Centre for Doctoral Studies and the China Scholarship Council
- For those students who make it on the King's College London nominations list, their details (to include: full name, date of birth, gender, programme details, start date and end date) will be shared with the CSC as part of the nomination process for identification purposes
For any questions relating to this scheme, please get in touch with Chan Sum, PG Scholarships Co-ordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Centre for Doctoral Studies at email@example.com.