Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Academic year 2021-22

Updated: 7 January 2022

Our plans for studying in the 2021/22 academic year 

Our core aim is to ensure the safety of our student and staff and to support students to engage fully with their studies and achieve their learning outcomes. If the situation changes, we will need to be flexible and adaptable. 

Looking ahead to Semester 2

Our sites have been open since the start of the academic year, and the vast majority of students have joined us on campus and are taking part in face-to-face teaching and learning. We continue to closely monitor the situation with regards to the pandemic, we’re following UK Government guidance, and we have plans in place to adjust should these change.  

Most of you have told us how much you value in-person education and the benefits it brings, and we look forward to seeing you on campus. In-person teaching will take place on campus from Monday 17 January as scheduled in your timetable, unless your degree is specifically an online programme or is being delivered virtually in conjunction with an external agency. 

We will continue to provide in-person teaching and learning opportunities. In addition to teaching on campus, we will continue to support and enhance your learning with online resources and opportunities where appropriate. All our facilities are open, including libraries, study spaces, support services and Students’ Union sites. Check out our campus A-Z for the information you need about being on campus and the facilities available.

If you have had a recent change in circumstances that impacts your ability to arrive for the start of your on-campus teaching, please contact your department immediately to discuss your options. For advice on visas, please contact the Visa and International Student Advice team.


If you require a visa to study at King’s but do not yet have a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies), you should request one by Monday 8 November to ensure your visa is in place for your arrival on campus by 17 January. You may need to request a CAS earlier if you have in-person exams between 10 and 14 January. You can find out how to request a CAS on Student Services Online.    

Our Visa and International Student Advice team can provide guidance to any students with visa concerns or queries.

Travelling to and from the UK

If you are planning to travel, we advise you to read the information on the UK Government website carefully and keep checking, as this information is updated regularly.  

If you are planning to travel home for the winter break, you are asked to take one KCL TEST or one lateral flow test (and report your lateral flow results on the GOV.UK website) prior to leaving.

If you test positive for COVID using lateral flow, you must take a confirmatory NHS PCR test (not required if you used KCL TEST), self-isolate immediately and complete the King’s Self-isolation reporting form.

Fit to fly - Free Fit to Fly certification is available with KCL TEST. Please make sure you check the KCL TEST Hub opening and sample collection times, these change from 18 December.

If you’re travelling to the UK and require support finding accommodation, more information can be found on Student Services Online

Your wellbeing 

We recognise the news of the new COVID variant is unsettling and may cause additional stress and pressure on your studying. If you have any concerns about your studies, please speak to your department or personal tutors.

Our student support teams are also available, and we are increasing the availability of our wellbeing and mental health advisors so you will have enhanced access to support. More information on how to access specific services can be found on Student Services Online.

Register with a GP

Please remember to register with an NHS GP (General Practitioner) if you have not done so already, so that you can access health services more easily, including the COVID-19 vaccine. At King’s, we have our own NHS Health Centre that students can join for free.


The NHS COVID Pass is an official record of your COVID-19 vaccination status or a negative test result. You will need to be registered with a GP to be issued with an NHS number which is needed to get a COVID Pass. Information on the NHS COVID Pass can be found here.

The NHS COVID Pass will be required for entry to some external venues such as nightclubs and may be required for entry to some KCLSU venues or events. It will not be a requirement to come onto campus or enter the university buildings for work, studying or King’s run events on campus. You must however test regularly if on campus and you may be asked to demonstrate you have tested. 

Keeping King's safe together

We are all responsible for protecting ourselves and each other. You may have seen the news that the UK Government is making some further changes to the guidance in response to the Omicron variant of COVID. Help us all enjoy a safe environment by following the guidance in place on our campuses. 

If you test positive for COVID-19, please complete our self-isolation form so we can support you. Information on the support available can be found on Student Services Online.  

We also strongly encourage all members of the King’s community to get the COVID-19 vaccine

Experiencing COVID outbreaks and other restrictions

It is possible that we may experience outbreaks on our campuses and more widely in London and the UK. In line with Public Health England or Government guidance, we may need to increase the amount of teaching and learning delivered online to enable you to continue with your studies and reduce transmission of the virus.

We really encourage you to do everything you can to play your part in making the campuses and our local communities as safe as possible for everyone. Where any changes need to be made, we will communicate with you as quickly as possible with as much information as is available.

Thank you for protecting each other.