Through our educational portfolio we endorse the School’s mission to ‘embrace strategic partnerships locally’ and ‘expand the capacity of communities to flourish’. Each master’s programme has strategic alliances with the MPS, the City of London Police and SMEs such as Intelligent Fingerprinting Ltd, which ensure that students’ research opportunities are driven by applicability to the end-user.
MSc Forensic Science
Programme Lead: Dr David Ballard
Full information on MSC Forensic Science
King’s benefits from a rich history of Forensic Science education, with the longest running (> 35 years) master’s programme in England and its academics have contributed significantly to the development of world leading education in this area. The MSc/MRes in Forensic Science is fully accredited by the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences and is the only programme to be twice awarded five commendations for excellence.
- Usually recruits about 35 students and is highly acclaimed in the UK, EU and overseas.
- Offers international project placements through a network of collaborators and associations with forensic laboratories around the globe (US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), New Zealand Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR) and the Universities of Amsterdam, Lausanne, and Santiago de Compostela).
- Strategic alliances with the Forensic Directorates of both the Metropolitan and the City of London Police.
- A blended learning approach using on-line resources (PowerPoint and webinars).
- Formative and summative assessments in line with the assessment reboot and TESTA (Transforming the Experience of Students through Assessment) projects.
MSc in Analytical Toxicology
Programme Lead: Dr Vincenzo Abbate
Full information on MSc in Analytical Toxicology
The MSc in Analytical Toxicology is a specialist programme of study that integrates theoretical and practical aspects of analytical science with clinical and forensic toxicology. The programme was developed with the collaboration of both national and international experts in the field.
- Recruits about 20 students
- Project placements are with eminent forensic provider and toxicology laboratories both in the UK and overseas (LGC, Eurofins and Abbott toxicology laboratories, NHS hospital laboratories such as Birmingham Heartland Hospital, Leicester Royal Infirmary, St Thomas’s hospital and TicTac communications).
- Distinct career path for bioanalytical scientists or further study (PhD positions).
- Students benefit from hands-on laboratory experience using a number of techniques