Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico


Tax efficient giving

When you give to King’s College London, we want to help you make your gift go further. Here we explain how you can give tax efficiently and support our work to make the world a better place.

The HMRC offer a scheme for donors who complete a self-assessment tax return or pay corporation tax. This means if you’re a higher rate taxpayer, you can donate the higher-rate tax relief to King’s. 

King’s has charitable status for UK tax purposes. We don’t have a charity registration number – King’s is an exempt charity under Schedule 2 of the Charities Act 1993. For more information, visit the HMRC Website.

What is Gift Aid?

By donating through Gift Aid, registered charities and exempt organisations like King’s College London, can claim an extra 25p for every £1 you give at no extra cost to you.

Do I qualify for Gift Aid?

To qualify for Gift Aid you must be a UK tax payer and pay at least as much Income and/or Capital Gains Tax as the amount to be reclaimed on all your charitable donations in the appropriate tax year and it is your responsibility to pay any difference.

You will be asked to sign a declaration when you make your donation to allow King’s to claim an extra 25% in Gift Aid on any gifts you have made in the last four years and any future donations. It is your responsibility to let us know if your circumstances change and you no longer pay UK tax.

Want to donate shares?

Making a donation via shares is one of the most tax-efficient ways you can give as you won't have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too. Please refer to the HMRC website for full details and contact our team on for details of how to donate this way.

Need help?

For more information, please email our team