Posted on 17/05/2012
The Division is delighted to announce the appointment of three Visiting Professors: Dr Clare Gerada MBE, Chair of Council, RCGP; Dr Kalipso Chalkidou, Director of NICE International and Dr Gillian Leng, Dr Gillian Leng CBE, Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Health and Social Care, NICE.
Professor Charles Wolfe, Head of Division, commented:
"These appointments are truly welcomed by all in the Division of Health & Social Care Research. All three appointees have a wealth of knowledge and experience that is directly relevant to our work. We look forward to working closely with our new Visiting Professors over the course of the next few years."
More information on each of the new Visiting Professors is set out below:
Dr Clare Gerada MBE
Dr Kalipso Chalkidou
NICE International was established in 2008 by Kalipso Chalkidou. It offers:
- strategic advice on evidence-based policy-making
- technical support on critical appraisal and health technology
- assessment to inform decisions
- input on strengthening existing or designing new decision-making
- frameworks, with a focus on transparency, stakeholder involvement, public engagement and consultation
- support with evaluating the effectiveness of health system
Kalipso Chalkidou is the founding Director of NICE¹s international programme established in 2008 to work with individual governments or funding agencies to support local teams develop local solutions:
Dr Chalkidou has been involved in the Chinese rural health reform and also in national health reform projects in Colombia, Turkey and the Middle East, working with the World Bank, PAHO, DFID and the Inter-American Development Bank as well as national governments.
Dr Gillian Leng CBE