I am an Associate Director, Senior Research Economist in the Office of the Chief Economist at European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in London, Assistant Professor of Economics at King’s College London, Department of Political Economy, and Research Associate at IZA Institute of Labor Economics. I will be visiting Stanford University, Economics Department in Fall, 2022.
I am also a co-founder of Global Survey of Working Arrangements (G-SWA), which collects detailed information on workers’ experiences and attitudes regarding remote work arrangements.
My research has been funded by King’s College London, the British Academy, and the World Bank. I mainly work on economic inclusion, forced migration, the political economy of trust and economic implications of working from home.
My research has been covered by over 100 media outlets, including BBC, Bloomberg, Business Insider, Financial Times, Forbes, Fortune Magazine, Harvard Business Review, Mirror, Reuters, The Daily Mail, The Independent, The New York Times, The Telegraph, The Times, Quartz, Vox, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and World Economic Forum.
I am the recipient of the Young Researcher Award from the Association of British Turkish Academics and was selected as a Leader of Tomorrow by The St. Gallen Foundation. I also occasionally contribute to Pocket Economics podcasts and write for GALLUP Blog, LSE Business Review, and VOXEU,
In 2017, I completed my PhD in Economics at University of London, Royal Holloway College.
Click here to view Dr Aksoy's website.
- Economics of Migration
- Labour Market Inequalities
- Political Economy
- Causal Inference for Public Policy (Graduate Level).
The module provides an introduction to instrumental variable estimation, the regression discontinuity design, diﬀerence-in-diﬀerences estimation, as well as the synthetic control method. Teaching consists of a weekly lecture, as well as seminars, and hands-on lab sessions. In the labs students apply methods of causal inference to various causal questions in the ﬁelds of economics, political economy, public policy and political science.
All teaching material will be posted on Keats.
- Working from Home Around the World, Forthcoming, Brookings Papers on Economic Activity (with Jose Barrero, Nicholas Bloom, Steven Davis, Mathias Dolls and Pablo Zarate). View Slides, View NBER Working Paper, View IZA Working Paper. Featured in Becker Friedman Institute, Bloomberg, Deutsche Welle, EuroNews, Helsinki Times, Les Affaires, Los Angeles Times, MedyaScope TV, NPR, Observer, Spiegel, the National, the Sydney Morning Herald,7NEWS Australia
- The Political Scar of Epidemics, Conditionally Accepted, the Economic Journal (with Barry Eichengreen and Orkun Saka). View NBER Working Paper | Watch LSE Public Event. Featured in Anadolu Agency, BBC Turkey, Bloomberg, Daily Mail, Euro News, Financial Times, The Telegraph, VoxEU, Washington Post.
- Reducing Sexual-Orientation Discrimination: Experimental Evidence from Basic Information Treatments, Forthcoming, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management (with Christopher Carpenter, Ralph De Haas, Mathias Dolls, and Lisa Windsteiger). View SSRN Working Paper, View CEPR Working Paper. Featured in VoxEU, VoxTalks Podcast, G7, the Conversation. View Pre-analysis Plan. View SSRN Working Paper, View CEPR Working Paper.
AEJ: Applied, Economic Journal, British Journal of Industrial Relations, European Economic Review, European Journal of Population, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Economic Literature, Journal of the European Economic Association, Journal of Health Economics, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Journal of Politics, Journal of Population Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Labour Economics, Management Science, Migration Studies, Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, PLOS One, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Public Opinion Quarterly, Review of Economic Studies, Review of Economics and Statistics, Quarterly Journal of Economics, World Development
Work in Progress
Other Research Activities
*This manuscript has been awarded as the winner of the “Best PhD Paper Prize” by the University of London, Royal Holloway
- “International Migration”, EBRD Transition Report 2018, Chapter 3 (with J. Michelle Brock, Francesca Dalla Pozza and Panu Poutvaara). View Full Report
- “Skills, Employment and Automation”, EBRD Transition Report 2018, Chapter 2 (with Yvonne Giesing, Nadzeya Laurentsyeva and Elisa Wirsching). View Full Report
- “Life Satisfaction in the Transition Region”, EBRD “A Decade of Measuring Transition” Report, Chapter 1, pp. 10-22. View Full Report
- “Governance in the Transition Region”, EBRD “A Decade of Measuring Transition” Report, Chapter 2, pp. 26-37. View Full Report
- “Gender in the Transition Region”, EBRD “A Decade of Measuring Transition” Report, Chapter 3, pp. 40-49. View Full Report