Dr Joseph Devanny
Lecturer in the Department of War Studies
Joe Devanny is a Lecturer in the Department of War Studies. He was a 2022-23 British Academy Innovation Fellow at the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). Prior to joining the Department, Joe was programme director for security at Ridgeway Information. Before this, he was a Research Fellow at the International Centre for Security Analysis (ICSA) at the Policy Institute, King's College London (KCL).
His postdoctoral research was conducted at the Institute for Government and the Policy Institute at King's, on the AHRC-funded Contemporary History of Whitehall project. Prior to postdoctoral research, Joe worked briefly in academic publishing and, before that, for the UK Government. He holds a PhD in political theory from the University of Cambridge, as well as degrees in European Studies and Political Science.
- Cyber Diplomacy
- Cyber Strategy
- National Security strategy, coordination, policy-making, and oversight
- Cyber Policy and Strategy
- National Security Studies
- Cybersecurity: Politics, Policy and Practice
- Intelligence in Peace and War
- Political Violence, Counterterrorism and Human Rights
For a complete list of publications, check Dr Devanny's Pure Profile.