Dr Isabelle Hertner
Lecturer in Politics of Britain in Europe
Telephone +44 (0)20 7848 1353
Address Department of European & International Studies
King's College London
Room 4.17, Virginia Woolf Building
London WC2B 6LE
Research interests and PhD supervision
Isabelle joined King’s in September 2016. She previously worked as a lecturer in German and European Politics and Society at the University of Birmingham’s Department of Political Science and International Studies. She was also the deputy director of Birmingham’s Institute for German Studies (IGS). Isabelle holds a PhD in European politics from Royal Holloway (University of London) and a MA in European Political and Administrative Studies from the College of Europe in Bruges. Isabelle did her undergraduate degree in Politics, French and Italian at the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg.
Isabelle's research interests include:
- National political parties in Europe.
- EU-level parties (‘Europarties’).
- British, French and German EU politics.
Isabelle’s research cuts across EU-level and national politics. She is an expert on political parties at the national and European levels. Isabelle currently completes a research monograph on centre-left parties and the European Union in which she uses the Labour Party, the French Socialists and the German Social Democrats as her case studies for comparison.
Isabelle has supervised four PhD students to completion and would welcome applications in the following research areas:
- Political parties: organization, positions, strategies.
- EU-level politics (esp. in the European Parliament).
- European elections.
- British, German, and French politics.
- Isabelle Hertner (2018, published online before print) 'United in diversity? Europarties and their individual members’ rights.'Journal of European Integration.
- Isabelle Hertner (2018) Centre-left parties and the European Union: power, democracy and accountability. Manchester University Press.
- Isabelle Hertner and Daniel Keith (2017) 'Europhiles or Eurosceptics? Comparing the European policies of the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats'. British Politics 12(1): 63-89.
- Isabelle Hertner and Alister Miskimmon (2015) 'Germany's Strategic Narrative of the Eurozone Crisis'. German Politics and Society, Vol. 33, Nos. 1&2 (Spring/Summer 2015).
- Isabelle Hertner (2015) 'Is it always up to the leadership? European policy-making in the Labour Party, the Parti Socialiste and the Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands', Party Politics. Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 470-480.
- Isabelle Hertner (2011) 'Are European Election Campaigns Europeanised? The Case of the Party of European Socialists in 2009', Government and Opposition, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 321-344.
Expertise and public engagement
Isabelle teaches on a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate modules, covering topics such as comparative politics, political analysis, Britain’s relationship with the EU, and research methods. In the past she has also taught modules on the European Union and on the welfare state in Europe.
Isabelle is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Isabelle has appeared live on Sky News to speak about German elections and British EU politics.
Isabelle has also given an interview on BBC 4. In addition, she has written pieces for The Conversation on German politics, the LSE’s Brexit blog and the PSA’s Political Insight blog (on the British Labour Party).